1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We can all have off days. I had 2 squibs in the bag today at the range. On both accounts even though the drill was draw and controled pair I was able to hear the difference and stop. Upon inspection, both times the bullet had left the barrel, once even scoring an A zone.

So, how often does a squib actually produce a stuck bullet?

Are lead SWC less likely to get stuck than say a 230 jacketed?

Since many HG manufacturers purposely fire a live round into a stuck bullet to check barrel intergrity - what really would be the consquence of one of us doing this as a result of a squib?

Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would think at the very least it would put a ring in the bore and worst case bulge or rupture the barrel and lock the gun damn near solid.:barf:

·
Registered
29 Posts
loading procedure

Sir,

If you had two in one range session you need to know the cause of the squib, (no powder, bad powder, etc) and either change components or develop a proper loading and inspection system.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Here's a photo of what can happen. Keep in mind that this problem was with a .40 S&W and a fully supported chamber. The problem I had is the first round was not a squib load but a reduced charge load. There was enough powder to shove the first bullet to the muzzle but not out and cause the spent case to end up in a classic stove pipe jam. I cleared the jam and took the next shot. This was during a USPSA match.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ouch! 10 ring. Does it hurt more when you bust a Schueman barrel? I apparently shot over a squib 185 grain .45 load during a match. Same drill, cleared a stove pipe jam and kept shooting. I finished the match and didn't realise I'd rung the barrel until I cleaned the gun. Even replacing a factory Kimber barrel hurt.

The guy shooting in the lane next to me at an indoor bullseye match one time was flipping out when he walked up to change his target, no holes in it at all. On the walk back to the line I pointed out his bullets laying on the floor about 15 feet downrange. I don't know what his load was, but it was way too light. BD

·
Registered
841 Posts
Wow, you'de think the bare power needed to get a tight fitting bullet to clear the barrel would throw the bullets farther than 15 feet past the barrel. :confused:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Still Creekin - yes this was an expensive repair. I had to have the barrel AND slide replaced. The two are still as one. Over the winter months I hope to slice up the barrel in order to separate the two.

Your experience is one good reason to NOT have a supported chamber. If the pressure gets way too high you have a place to vent.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The bullseye shooter I mentioned in the previous post was shooting a 686. He was lucky.

In my own instance I don't think the case was even noticably bulged, at least I didn't come up with a distressed case amoung the picked up brass later. The barrel was rung about two thirds of the way down. The "ring" is about 1/4 inch long and barely noticable on the outside of the barrel, but it's real apparent looking down the tube. Any farther forward and it would have bound up the barrel in the bushing. The load was, (supposed to be), 4.8 grains of Titegroup under a lyman 452460 sized .451, so luckily the pressure was pretty low. The .452460 is a two lube groove bullet with very little bearing surface which probably helped out as well. BD

·
Registered
479 Posts
This happened to me

Allie said:
I would think at the very least it would put a ring in the bore and worst case bulge or rupture the barrel and lock the gun damn near solid.:barf:
My one and only sqib bulged my barrel at the range and ended my 45acp shooting.

$65 later and I got a new barrel fitted. (my sqib'd barrel is now sitting on my shelf where i reload as a reminder)

-Warlock

·
Banned
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it sounds like in the event of a powderless charge it is rare to have the bullet clear the barrel as it did in both my cases.

Food for thought.

Also, do you think that the ringed, split, blown open barrels that can occur within 1911s have different out come thatn say an HK b/c of barrel profile?

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts