1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a Alloy Framed 1911 Commander, series 70. I was looking at the Ruger SR1911 LW CMD in a LGS and one of the guys behind the counter (sporting a Wilson 1911) commented that the Ruger would be a step down from my Kimber (full sized Custom II). For folks who have both what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I don't share that gun store guy's opinion. Used to own some Kimber products, over the years they have all been traded away. In short my view came to be that if you had a problem that the factory should be willing and able to deal with, the outcome was not always as hoped. Not trying to start an argument or belittle Kimber, but that's been my take over all.

Being a long time range officer at several matches, I saw occasional glitches that the company didn't fix right the first or second try, more than once.

Obviously Ruger doesn't have very much time in the 1911 business compared to Kimber, but so far the accounts of Ruger customer service (and I only know of two such instances to date) have been very positive, just like the company has provided on their other firearms through the years.

Really digging my Ruger lightweight Commander so far, nary a hang up. If I needed/wanted another 1911 right now I'd look at their offerings first. And this coming from a guy with mostly Springfield Armory 1911s in the safe.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
I trust a Ruger over a Kimber anyway.. And the company Ruger as a whole takes care of its customers better as said.. There is nothing special about a Kimber.. The Ruger in no was is a downgrade IMO...

·
Registered
23,179 Posts
Generally Kimbers are not bad just way overpriced for what you get and they should be with all the glossy adds in every gun mag, and often the entire back cover, that Kimber pays for. I have had a few and still have one.

The Ruger LW CMD is a great value for what you get. I finally found one a couple months ago I could look at in a LGS.

The fit and finish on mine are great. I also got a halfway decent picture of the Titanium insert that Ruger puts in the ramp on the frame of these.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
OP, I know you're inquiring about the Ruger LW CMD. I own several Ruger firearms & I like them a lot.
But for me, I'd rather spend the money for a Springfield RO Champion.
Its not stainless (if that's a consideration) and the prices of both are pretty equal.
And IMHO, SA is a better firearm & their CS is top shelf.

·
Registered
416 Posts
The only problem with my Ruger 1911 is keeping ammo in it. Boxes or .45 cal sure disappear kinda fast. :confused: :scratch: What a problem to have. :)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I don't have the LW Ruger Commander but I do have the regular Ruger Commander. I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry. I like the Ruger every bit as much as I like the Kimber. I also have the Ruger Govt. Model but I haven't fired it yet so I will leave it out of my comments. Interestingly, though, I have never had a problem with either the Ruger Commander or the Kimber Ultra Carry but I have had the Ultra Carry for at least 15 years and the Ruger for a little less than one year.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I do not and would not own any recent (Series II) Kimbers. I had several of the original, Series I guns, in blue and stainless. Good guns. But Kimber's race to too many variations, along with the FP safety system and aborted external extractor turned me off.

I have owned and carried several Colt LW Commanders over the years, all worked on by Novak's. The Ruger is a great value for the money. Mine is going off to Novak's to change the sights to my preference (megawatt tritium front/superwide notch plain black rear) and a tool steel hammer/sear/disconnector set, overall I am pleased enough with the gun to put it into my carry rotation.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Kimber makes a good gun, but they do seem to be overpriced when compared to other makes that, frankly, offer equal performance. I only have pre-Series II Kimbers now, but my son has a couple of Series II guns, and they all perform very well.

I also own one of the Ruger Lightweight Commanders. I bought it thinking it would be an inexpensive alternative to my "better" 1911s for use on my deer lease. I didn't want to sweat and get chainsaw debris all over my "nicer" guns, so I bought the Ruger. What a surprise!! This is an outstanding pistol, regardless of price! It is a FAR better weapon than my 1970's vintage Colt Lwt Commander, that's for sure! I have been thoroughly impressed with its performance across the board. Reliability has been 100%. Accuracy is excellent. Ergonomics and controls are excellent. In all, this is a tremendous value. I had planned on using it just as a knock-around gun, but have found myself carrying it quite a bit in place of my "better" guns. It may be less expensive, but it is far and away from being a step down from a Kimber or any other production gun. Hell, it even outshot my Les Baer TRS in Mozambique drills! Go figure!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm looking for a Alloy Framed 1911 Commander, series 70. I was looking at the Ruger SR1911 LW CMD in a LGS and one of the guys behind the counter (sporting a Wilson 1911) commented that the Ruger would be a step down from my Kimber (full sized Custom II). For folks who have both what are your thoughts?
C_cubed ... Personally, I would disagree with the comments of the man with "counter intelligence" :rolleyes:.

While I'm sure it was just my bad luck, both Kimbers that I've had during the past 15 years were plagued with reliability issues that were not (or could not) be corrected by Kimber. They are long gone from my collection (none to follow). My SR1911 CMD on the other hand has been perfect so far during the first 700 rounds. Additionally, the fit, finish and accuracy has been impressive. Finally, based on past experience, I'm confident in Rugers ability to make a satisfactory repair if one is ever needed. In my view the SR1911 CMD has been a "Step Up" :). YMMV

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yep! Definitely! Kimber is a step down from Ruger!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I liked my Kimber Pro Carry II about as much as my Ruger, it was just more expensive. Ended up dumping the Kimber and keeping the Ruger.

Man, between the Night Watchman and this LW CMD... I might need a new Ruger soon. How the heck am I going to convince my wife I need ANOTHER 1911?

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
The Ruger would be a step up from your Kimber. I suspect the LGS is trying to move his Kimbers.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
The Ruger LW CMD's I've seen have all been impressive in the fit and finish, especially at that price. The ramp insert is a well thought out and neat feature. Maybe it's new tooling or something...but they're solid.

That said the Springfield 4" guns are plain finish wise but are well put together as well with ramped bushingless barrels. For my first 1911 purchase in 18 years my money went there.

Kimbers have a lot of factory options and a diverse line. From what I've seen their customer service dept. needs a new attitude. Better, no. Different. Yes.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts