1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SRP with the 1 1/2" group ordered and it should be in in about 4-5 weeks. I have been reading a lot on this forum and it seems like the TRS is quite popular, so can someone please explain the difference between the two. I would call the factory, but I prefer an unbiased and everyday guy explanation, not a sales pitch. Thanks in advance for your help and safe shooting! :rock:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
The SRP has a much more durable Bear Coat (Black-T a la DuPont) finish, as opposed to a blued finish. This makes the SRP utterly self-lubricating, 110% reliable (as opposed to the TRS being only 100% reliable ;)), and totally rust-proof. THIS FINISH IS USED ON THE SPACE SHUTTLE!!!

The SRP has full-sized grips, the TRS has slimlines.

The TRS has a solid trigger, the SRP has a Videki 3-hole.

The SRP has an ambi-safety, the TRS does not.

The SRP comes standard with a 2.5"@50 yards accuracy garuntee and is tested with multiple types of JHP ammo, including Golden Sabre, to meet FBI standards, the TRS has the standard 3"@50 yards garuntee.

Every single solitary part in the entire SRP from the bbl. bushing to the hammer strut to the.... I could go on and on.... is Bear Coated for maximum corrosion resistance.

They both have 30 LPI checkering on the frontstrap, but they also both have 20 LPI on the MSH, which is uncharachteristic of most other Baer guns.

And now for the real reason the TRS is more popular: the TRS is $1,748, the SRP is around $2,300.

I've shot both, own the TRS, and I can tell you from experience it'll be WELL worth the wait. :rock:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
OH YEAH! I loved that SRP! It didn't handle much different than the TRS, but boy was that thing a beauty. And SOOOOO accurate! That thing sure made me look good! I oughta get myself one of those someday....

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Just to clarify without implying anything else Bear Coat is a proprietary finish applied by Rocky Mountain Arms in Colorado. Baer ships his disassembled gun to them, they finish the parts, send em back, Les reassembles & test fires each weapon.

Black T is Walter Birdsong's unique finish (Mr. Birdsong is in Mississippi).

Both great finishes (the newer Bear Coat is better than their early formula).

2 great guns, after I put the standard width grips on my TRS, I shot it as accurately and comfortably as my friend's SRP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts