1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stainless steel Fusion frame I want to finish. The finish I am looking for is smooth sides and dull on the trigger area. I am thinking to bead blast the frame first next polish the sides; but how? Will 1000 grit sand paper then polishing wheel work? Help

·
Registered
494 Posts
Bead blasting will get you the matte finish you are looking for. For the smooth sides, I would not recommend the wheel. It's a little difficult to get precisely where you want it.

I'd recommend just sanding on a flat surface (a large piece of glass is great). Start with something more along the lines of 320 grit, and pregressively go finer until the finish you desire is acheived. Use wet'dry sandpaper thoroughly lubricated with oil/WD-40. You'll want the grip bushings and plunger tube off the frame while doing this.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
+1 what Darren said except I use water with a drop or two of dishwashing liquid per quart in a spray bottle. Easier to control and clean up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start at 320 so do need to go to 1000 or can i stop at 600 gr?

·
Registered
494 Posts
It all depends on how polished of a look you are going for. 320 will give you a "brushed" look, and 600 should be pretty smooth. Honestly, I think you'd be better served not going up to 1000 grit, as any minor scratch is going to be very apparent- not so with a "brushed" finish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts