1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to order a Executive Carry but I haven't decided if I want the stainless steel or the blued carbon steel (CS) version. This will be a ocassional CCW. I don't live near the ocean or in a tropical climate. Is there any practical differences other then rust resistance? Is there a difference in fit and tolerances between SS and CS? Your input would be appreciated as I'm eager to place my order.
Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
J-Street,

I own a blued Kobra Carry. I believe that I picked it over the SS because I prefer most all semi and wheel guns that way.

Now maybe I REALLY picked it because it was a slightly smaller investment cost..... but at the end of the day, when I polish my blued model, it looks real nice, real nice. I love the look of it, it looks dull and shiny at the same time.

I just starting using mine for CC and I guess the blueing will start to fade at friction points, but that shows the pride of ownership. Right??

Good luck on your decision. Larry C.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a unfired blued Class A LTD Commander without the bobtail for 2K that I'm going to buy. Thanks for your input gentlmen.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
I love them both and until I met AZ Husker, I was 100% a blue man, Now I have jumped ship to the Stainless. I found it to be a slow love affair (with the gun that is)- I belive overall the stainless is just a better gun, and more forgiving to any abuse it might recieve. However, since this is Your gun - whats better a blonde or Brunette... Just my .02

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
The Kobras and Elites come with a Matt Blue that really looks Flat Black. I was ready to buy a two tone Kobra but next to the all Stainless. My son and I both thought the all Stainless was nicer looking.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Go with stainless. In the long run I'm sure you'll be much happier. IMHO there are more advantages in having stainless.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Blued for me. I have the Kobra Carry in Blue, and I like the way it looks now that the blue has worn off a little from holster use. Looks like serious business to me. Stainless looks great too, though. Oh, as for rust, I live on an island, and have had zero rust. Just wipe it off once a day with a silicone cloth.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you want to use it for. Some folks step up from less-expensive 1911s to Ed Browns, and the newest piece is one that's babied and oiled for an hour and all that. Some folks see a 1911 as a tool, and an Ed Brown 1911 is just a more efficient one. In the former case, I'd go with blued, and the latter, I'd go with stainless. Stainless is more forgiving to abuse as some folks said. It may not look as nice to some, but it's easier to buff out scratches and nicks, and it's slightly easier to maintain against rust. Personally, if I get an Ed Brown (which I will), I'd go with stainless.

Andy

·
Registered
84 Posts
I agree with Andy, of course I'm located less then a hour from his home town and we DO have humidity. I have Ed Browns in all three finishes, for looks, I prefer the matte stainless in the Kobra and it's a toss up on the Class A's. Haven't yet seen a Executive but the only way to beat stainless for corrosion resistance, holster wear, etc. is to get them hard chromed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts