1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to refinish a SS gun in black / blue. I have a DW CBOB and would like to refinish this gun in black?

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Yes, totally doable.
Our own Dave Severns offers a Hard Hat finish which is tougher than nails. His contact information is up on top of the page.
Past that, there are any number of other finishes from metal treatments, to paint on finishes and everything in between. I would think that googling something like "pistol finishes" or similar would drown you in information. :biglaugh:
Good luck!
Sarge

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Yeah, what Sarge said. Dave turned my stainless railed S&W into a nasty looking, black, bump in the night gun. Looks great.
Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
So, how does it work when you guys send a gun to someone like Dave? Do you just ship it straight to him (yes, I know he has his FFL) and then he sends it back? Or does it need to be shipped back to your FFL?

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
So, how does it work when you guys send a gun to someone like Dave? Do you just ship it straight to him (yes, I know he has his FFL) and then he sends it back? Or does it need to be shipped back to your FFL?
It's easy as pie, you ship to Dave, he ships back to you.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Like CK said above, you ship to him, and since you already own the gun, he ships back to you. If you haven't shipped before, here's how I do it in California:
1)Obtain copy of Dave's FFL. Usually he emails it to you. Print it out.
2)Get a medium shipping box from FedEx. I ship mine in some sort of case for protection. Fill remainder of box with packing peanuts or the like so gun DOES NOT RATTLE OR MOVE. You wouldn't want it to slide around and maybe open the box.
3)Address it to Dave, insure it, adult signature it, and ship it overnight. I've heard recently you can 2 day it, but haven't confirmed.
4)Notify FedEx employee that it's an unloaded handgun, and show them copy of FFL. This is required and the only way to legally ship a handgun. This must all be done at a FedEx hub, not a store.
5)Wait patiently (yeah right) for it to return.
Ryan

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Like CK said above, you ship to him, and since you already own the gun, he ships back to you. If you haven't shipped before, here's how I do it in California:
1)Obtain copy of Dave's FFL. Usually he emails it to you. Print it out.
2)Get a medium shipping box from FedEx. I ship mine in some sort of case for protection. Fill remainder of box with packing peanuts or the like so gun DOES NOT RATTLE OR MOVE. You wouldn't want it to slide around and maybe open the box.
3)Address it to Dave, insure it, adult signature it, and ship it overnight. I've heard recently you can 2 day it, but haven't confirmed.
4)Notify FedEx employee that it's an unloaded handgun, and show them copy of FFL. This is required and the only way to legally ship a handgun. This must all be done at a FedEx hub, not a store.
5)Wait patiently (yeah right) for it to return.
Ryan
I have to add that you don't legally have to have a copy of Dave's FFL to ship anything to him. FedEx does not even require that you have it, although it helps to have it handy because the employees don't always know that (ask me how I know:rolleyes: ).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts