1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Based on previous posts regarding removal of all of the trigger travel from Glocks and using them in SSP division, I contacted IDPA HQ for clarification. The response was that since internal trigger modifications are allowed and due to the fact that some adjust the pretravel or overtravel, it would be difficult to issue a ruling to disallow the removal of "x" amount of trigger travel with all of the variations possible. If an individual removes all trigger travel (i.e. make the Glock trigger feel like a single action 1911) , this would be OK provided ALL of the safeties remain intact. I was surprised at this ruling. I see the logic behind it, but it does allow for deviation from the intent of the division. With that said however, as stated, all three safeties have to be intact, the trigger bar, firing pin, and drop safety. With a lot of the custom triggers available for the Glock, the 3rd safety mentioned above is neglected. This safety requires that the trigger be pulled back a specific distance before the trigger bar cruciform is allowed to drop off of a ledge on the trigger housing. If all or most of the pre-travel is removed, the cruciform is beyond the ledge rendering the 3rd safey disabled. I verified this while examining several custom triggers including a Vanek. Charlie Vanek is working on a newer version of his trigger that will extend the ledge on the trigger housing so that the 3rd safey is active with all of the pre-travel removed.

If one is shooting a Glock in IDPA or USPSA with a customized trigger that has all of the pre-travel removed, unless the trigger housing ledge has been extended to enable the drop safety, the pistol is not legal. Another note of interest is the trigger bar lever. In a division where no external modifications are allowed to the firearm, trimming the trigger bar lever to keep it active with pre-travel removed is an external modification and is not allowed (I think).

·
Super Moderator
7,806 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to research this and post back with your findings. Now we have something from IDPA saying its legal and then there is the Hackathorn article in TJ that says it isnt. Clear as mud.

rmills said:
I see the logic behind it, but it does allow for deviation from the intent of the division.
IDPA said its ok. Shouldn’t they be the ones that know what the intent of the division is/was?

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I questioned the differentiation from Hackathorn's comments and was told that while IDPA values Mr. Hackatorn's opinion, it's just that, an opinion. Official rulings must come from HQ.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IDPA said its ok. Shouldn’t they be the ones that know what the intent of the division is/was?
That would like trying to ascertain as to why USPSA allows tungsten guide rods in Production division when no current manufacturer offers them in production pistols.

·
Registered
404 Posts
rmills said:
...trimming the trigger bar lever to keep it active with pre-travel removed is an external modification and is not allowed (I think).
Right.

Trimming the back of the safety lever in the trigger of a Glock is considered and external mod by USPSA, and not legal for Production division.

That, in itself, provides a limit on how much pre-travel can be taken out.

·
Super Moderator
7,806 Posts
rmills said:
That would like trying to ascertain as to why USPSA allows tungsten guide rods in Production division when no current manufacturer offers them in production pistols.
Because they are not an external mod and the gun still has to make weight.

·
Registered
404 Posts
rmills said:

They don't exactly allow or disallow them. They do allow replacing the guide rods (considered an internal modification). They don't specify what to replace them with. They do specify that the gun cannot weigh more than 2oz. over stock. Replacing the stock rod with a tungsten doesn't go over 2oz...so yeah, in effect, they are legal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts