1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I got a Staccato-XC. This thread will be to record some thoughts about it. Bottom line at the top: so far, only 120rds in, it seems great! Not for everybody ... If you see no reason to spend >$700 on a pistol, this one could shake your worldview: stear clear. If a m1911-action on a frame impossible to make in 1908 is heresy: run!

First of all, the "origin story": reading a fairly recent thread led me to the Wilson Combat site. There greatly admiring the ”X-TAC Elite Carry Comp Professional”, I started actually thinking about a role for such a pistol. But I'd want an optical sight plate system - not be locked into irons nor any particular sight footprint. More, I'd rather not wait 9months for anything less than a baby. So looking for alternatives, I asked the forum for some advice / help:

Reverse review: What m1911 maker would you choose next...

Based on prior good experiences, the Dan Wesson custom shop and Dawson Precision were in my list of finalists from the get-go. Dawson Precision is marketing a package based on a Staccato; the package is a close match for my requirements. Since I was going to ask a price-&-schedule from DP sometime anyway, I called them. What surprised me was when I asked "How soon could you ship one?" the answer was "Tomorrow." uhhh ... "Done!".

The package is a very complete kit: kit bag; three magazines*1;mounting hardware for at least two differing optical sight footprints; two iron rear sights; lots of screws and pins; an owner's manual; test target; sight drifts; a chamber flag. It appeared to be lubed but I made certain. My word! what a smooth action. The finish, I understand, is a DLC: It's attractive though simple. My skin oils and/or sweat is unusually caustic (not as bad as Dad's though). Looking at the chemistry involved in DLC, I have high hopes: it shouldn't react. Also it oughta wear like ... diamond. Still, I think no Kydex holsters. Trigger breaks cleanly just before reaching 2 1/2lbs. Thumb safety is as crisp and positive as the best in my experience.

Some family events intervened, preventing me from taking it to the range for a few days; so I did some dry-fire with it. Finally got to the range the weekend of 04/16 - 04/18. Using the pre-installed iron sights, at 13.5m / 15yds it shoots almost precisely 2" high for me. In evaluating the sight picture, with five three-shot strings, three of the strings were 1-hole. After getting the sight picture, I bagged the pistol and took it to the shop area to have the optical mounted ... and to look at lights.

With Leupold's "Delta Point" sights no longer available with a delta point, I chose a Holosun 507C, mainly for it's reticle. Zero'ing the optic was fairly impressive too. Again about 1/2 the 3-shot strings each produced only one hole. Now it's zero'd, I'm pleased with the results. More to follow.

*1- IIRC, I wanted a total of six, so going on memory of how many were included.

1619322108732.png

Staccato-XC_with_bag001.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have a new P DUO that I put a DPP on, but I’m a little disappointed that I cannot get a crisper dot. Looks like a comet and I can’t get it light enough for that to go away without making it to light to see. What do you think is different about the Holosun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have a new P DUO that I put a DPP on, but I’m a little disappointed that I cannot get a crisper dot. Looks like a comet and I can’t get it light enough for that to go away without making it to light to see. What do you think is different about the Holosun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Holosun reticle I like and use, has a "crosshair" circle* with a 2MoA dot in the center. The big circle for fast; the tiny dot for precise. Before using for speed drills though, I want to be more accustomed to the pistol. So far using only the tiny dot. The lighted elements of the reticle are crisp. The Holosun 507C has 4(?) reticle choices; but the circle-&-dot might as well be the only one as far as I'm concerned.

My DeltaPoint Pro is an awesome! sight: currently mounted on a S&W M-41. It has the delta-shaped reticle, a yellow-orange, isosceles triangle; plenty crisp. About like this /\ (but solid color). Color aside, it's just like the TR24G reticle on my hunting rifles. Pretty sure that delta-shape is where the name of the product line derives. For fast, I just use the triangle like an arrow: pointing at the target? press trigger. For precise, I zero'd to the very tip of the triangle at 13.5m / 15y. If I could find another such sight, I'd'a bought it. But not only did Leupold stop making them: vendors' stocks seemed to have suddenly disappeared. Bought one, the next day the vendor called: sorry we cannot sell you that sight(!?!?!). Leupold has a great reputation: with a fuzzy reticle, I'd expect Leupold to make it right.

*- very like the target print from my previous: no lines through the middle; but a mark at each cardinal point: N, E, S, W.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh! one more point about the Staccato-XC: when cleaning up my shooting station, of 50rds fired: four cases missing (presumed down-range); about five brass on the floor; the remaining ~41 stacked on the nice 20*11 bag. Never before had a semi-auto handgun throw brass as gently and consistently as that. That could make me spoiled.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for posting! How do the sights co witness with the red dot? My red dot experiment was short lived, but this might be bringing me back.

·
Registered
639 Posts
As I posted in your other thread I am really impressed with my Staccato P. Two range trips with about 500 rounds fired, it is as accurate as any handgun I own. The first range trip was 300 rounds, full power reloads of 115-125 gr. FMJ and JHP, all feed flawless. The second range outing I went through my ammo cabinet and drug out odds and ends, FMJ and coated and uncoated lead from 115 to 147 gr. I had 1 failure to feed, which was not the guns fault. It was a 125 gr. lead reload over a target charge of Titegroup, the fired cases where barely clearing the gun.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting! How do the sights co witness with the red dot? My red dot experiment was short lived, but this might be bringing me back.
That’s a good question: short answer, with a clean lens, it works. So far, a little slower than a bare iron. Now my answer ...

Co-witness requires keeping the lens clean. Using the reflex sight’s reticle with finger(?) smudges was fine but finding the front sight was a bit difficult, thus slower. After cleaning the lens that improved. Then I noticed the fibre-optic was not passing much light. Turned out the far end was covered with something black ... perhaps during installation of the Holosun(?). Cleaned that off ... a bit better. Painted the far end with a silver Sharpie ... a bit better yet*1.

So now co-witness works; using the iron sights is still a little slower than without a reflex. In a S.D. situation with no reflex reticle I’d just use the lens-frame as a [ very coarse ] front sight. OtOH, in my 1st steel game using a reflex, after only one range session using it, my time dropped 20%. So I’m pretty convinced of the virtues of a reflex sight ... when it’s working.

At this point, however, looking over the front sight assembly, I formed this plan:

• Remove the fibre-optic light guide
  • With a very reflective white front sight paint*2:
  • - Paint the top of the sight, i.e. the bed for the light guide
  • - Replace Sharpie ink at the front end of light guide with white*1
  • Reassemble

Now more ambient light should hit the light guide and more of that be sent backward. After completing this little project, I’ll update. The above might brighten the fiber-optic enough more to improve front-sight acquisition through the lens to the point it’s no longer a delay. More practice will also make a difference.

*1- Reasoning: Ambient light hitting the light guide is just as likely to go forward as back. So 1/2 of the guided light would go uselessly out the front. Losing the front end of the guide for light gathering should be more than made up by reflecting backwards much of that otherwise wasted 1/2. The silver Sharpie experiment looks to have confirmed this. If you have technical knowledge counter to this reasoning, please pitch in.

*2- Revlon “510 Sure Thing” ... yes, Maybelline is by far my favorite front sight paint, but this was the most reflective white in the shooting equipment section at Walgreens that day. Maybelline’s great durability wouldn’t matter to this application.

Reactions: RobClarke

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Could it be that the comp is blowing crap back on the front of that sight?
Awesome deduction! Yes, it could. Wiped off like soot: I’m convinced. This is my 1st with both comp and front sight. Bound to be learning some things. Thank you.

Note: my fibre-optic sight plan would make soot a non-issue.

Reactions: TexasBB

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More fiber-optic thoughts: just now figured out why the front end of the light guide is rounded, like a hemisphere: to gather more light. Covered with soot, not working. Since I’m not confident of getting the Revlon “Sure Thing” off, I’ll be thinking of something very white and easy to remove ...

... ah ha! ... as I typed: ”White Out”. Yes, I’m old enough to have used a typewriter, sure there’s correction fluid somewhere in my office ... had to move it away from the computer screen though (old habits don’t you know?).

·
Registered
149 Posts
I got a Staccato P in my hands yesterday the action is so smooth! Not sure I could manage the XC but the P duo and p host look doable. I still have RMR from my experiment and the Dawson sights look very nice! Congrats and thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
There's a trick to melting those fiber rods so you get balls on the end and you don't burn or crystalize them otherwise the don't work so good. But I would think that FO front sight would be a poor choice for a comped gun given the amount of crap they blow back.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
At this point, however, looking over the front sight assembly, I formed this plan:
  • Remove the fibre-optic light guide
  • With a very reflective white front sight paint*2:
  • - Paint the top of the sight, i.e. the bed for the light guide
  • - Replace Sharpie ink at the front end of light guide with white*1
  • Reassemble
Now more ambient light should hit the light guide and more of that be sent backward.
There's a trick to melting those fiber rods so you get balls on the end and you don't burn or crystalize them otherwise the don't work so good.
It worked: significantly more light coming out of the optical fibre now.

Details:
This morning, during a break from cleaning my office-&-shop, I executed the plan quoted above. When writing the plan, I was unaware that the wave-guides were considered disposable. That caused minor change of plan. Immediately after describing the idea to my son, I discovered in the pistol case: a packet of spare wave-guide material, opaque inserts in black and white and an instruction card. “Convenient.” he said.

Steps:
- Cut the original wave-guide in the middle, push each half out of the sight.

- Using the white insert, paint the wave-guide channel (Revlon “510”) white.
Not a perfect job: concerned about dry sight paint constricting the channel too much, just made a few passes until it was about 75% covered. This incidentally painted white the rear face of the sight.

- Wipe the white insert clean against possible future use.

- Melt the rear end of the new wave-guide and trial insert it.
Following the DawsonPrecision.com site sight instructions, with attention to the warning from ‘markm’ quoted above.

- Mark the new wave-guide leaving <1mm or ~1/32” between front face of the sight and the mark.

- Withdraw the wave-guide and cut it at the mark.

- Re-insert the wave-guide into the sight.
It was noticeably brighter!

- Melt the front-end of the wave-guide, completing installation.

- Daub the front end of the wave-guide with the (Revlon “510”) white sight paint.

This completes the project-let. It took less time than it reads ... my son had just returned from a 10min break when I was wrapping it up. Note that with the wave-guide lengths being disposable, there was no point in a trial with correction fluid. The sight now does emit noticeably more light. The paint used is slightly translucent ... so I’ll wait until getting sooty the front end of the new wave-guide before declaring “Mission Accomplished.” But will write: it looks good now. If a coating of soot makes a difference, I’ll put on another coat of white so that less light passes forward to be absorbed in the soot.

BTW: a fairly obvious fallback is to use the white insert to convert the front sight from fibre-optic into a white-dot. With the rear face of the sight painted white now, the front sight is much easier to acquire. The increased light from the green wave-guide is gravy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
During another break, I mounted a relatively inexpensive weapon light. Other than temporary installation on a hunting rifle for wildlife management, this is the first I’ve mounted a weapon light. Gotta say, I like it. The light is a Firefield FF25015. On/Off/Strobe switches conveniently at either side at the front of the trigger-guard. It emits only 120 lumens ... which I can confirm is quite startling when it unexpectedly flashes on into one’s eyes ... for example when you seat the battery the correct way and the switch was already on.

A more expensive, higher power light is on order ... but a regular supplier had this FF25015 on sale and it arrived first. So the 600 lumen light, when it arrives, will have to duke it out for the Staccato. The loser likely to be mounted on the primary home defense long-gun.

Oh! and with the light mounted, it still fits easily in the holster that I have in mind for it. Now ready to try working on a draw-stroke.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got a Staccato P in my hands yesterday the action is so smooth! Not sure I could manage the XC but the P duo and p host look doable. I still have RMR from my experiment and the Dawson sights look very nice! Congrats and thanks for the write up!
For the price-tag on the Staccato-XC, it appears I was taking for granted a very smooth action. High expectations set by my STI “SteelMaster” also likely a factor. But last night at the range, there were a couple of the crew who had yet to examine the Staccato-XC.

They‘ve recently been impressed with, what I’m remembering as an “M&P Shield EZ”, chambered in .380. When one of them operated the slide of the Staccato he took on a startled expression ... slid it over to the other and said “This is easier to cycle than the M&P EZ!?”. Then I realized better, just how remarkable is this Staccato pistol.

Thank you and you’re welcome! (better than a thumb-up now I’ve something to reply).

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It worked: significantly more light coming out of the optical fibre now.
The sight now does emit noticeably more light. The paint used is slightly translucent ... so I’ll wait until getting sooty the front end of the new wave-guide before declaring “Mission Accomplished.” But will write: it looks good now. If a coating of soot makes a difference, I’ll put on another coat of white so that less light passes forward to be absorbed in the soot.
Mission accomplished: soot on the front end of the wave-guide now has no noticeable effect; that after 40rds. Calling it “good”.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm ... my dry-fire regimen seems to have gained new life ...
;- j

... the two-part reticle of the Holosun and the bright F.O. front sight make for three aiming systems: iron, precision dot, speed circle. That variety helps sustain interest.

Having gained some ground on the music schedule, I’m planning on working on practice draws this next couple of days. And ought to complete reliability testing CoF this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The light is a Firefield FF25015. On/Off/Strobe switches conveniently at either side at the front of the trigger-guard. It emits only 120 lumens ... which I can confirm is quite startling when it unexpectedly flashes on into one’s eyes ... for example when you seat the battery the correct way and the switch was already on.

... a regular supplier had this FF25015 on sale and it arrived first. ...

Oh! and with the light mounted, it still fits easily in the holster that I have in mind for it. Now ready to try working on a draw-stroke.
Oh! Just reminded where I learned about the “regular supplier” referenced in #14. That supplier is a forum vendor represented by member ‘gr8fuldoug’ ... if I’d remembered at the time, I’d’a written “CameraLandNY.com”.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
90% of the way through CCW acceptance testing; so far, colors flying.

·
Premium Member
5,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
... one disappointment: Urban Carry cancelled my holster order; so I’ll be trying my old UC “Colonel G2”. Twice now, vendors have taken an order on accessories for this pistol, then cancelled with “no longer available”. The 1st was a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro sight with the delta-shaped reticle. Still strikes me as ironic that DeltaPointPros no longer sold with a delta point reticle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts