1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just bought a stainless makarov!
Its a Russian IJ-70 17. The only bad part is that it is chambered for the 9X17 380 auto round. I need a rebarrel!

At makarov.com they have the Federal Arms 9X18 which I plan to purchase as well as the barrel press.

I detailed it tonite, and I couldnt push out the barrel pin with my punch set. Anyone know or have done a mak barrel swap?

The barrel pin, is driven in there really deep?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The barrel pins can be pretty tight, drive it out from left to right (from a hand held perspective).

Did you remove the trigger guard?

The spring that holds the trigger guard closed, bears on the bottom side of the barrel lug.

Here is my method:

Disassemble the pistol, then remove the pin at the bottom of the trigger guard, and remove the guard, plus its spring and plunger. This allows the trigger to be removed as well.

Next remove the barrel pin just below the chamber and press/drive the barrel out of the frame to the rear. Compare the ramp dimensions on the two barrels and adjust the new one if necessary.

Slip the new barrel into the frame and press/drive it into place (if not cross-drilled for the barrel pin, mark it, remove it, drill it, then re-install it), then install the barrel pin.

Re-install the trigger, and trigger guard with its pin, spring and plunger, then reassemble the complete pistol.

That's it. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO, i hadnt removed the guard, I had everything out except for the guard.

Tonite I ordered a bulige 9X18 barrel from makarov.com for $15.

When it arrives I will proceed and swap out.

thanks for the reply! I will like the larger orginal caliber better than the kurtz.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You'll huff and puff and swear the house down on the first barrel change.

Some of the commercial Russians are easier - I helped a friend change out a IJ70 .380 to 9x18 and it was easier than doing it on the project EG surplus one that had been thrashed by Bubba.

FWIW, I like my IJ-70 in native 9x18.

Damn fine gun.

Look for the CCI Blazer 9x18 Gold Dots if you can find them - I don't think a finer load for the gun has been developed even if it does have aluminum cases.

I also have a lead on some stockpiled Cor-bon if anyone asks me real nicely as well as some Hornady JHPs. I already looted the shop out of the Blazer.

Disclaimer: It's not mine, and I'm not selling it.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love my Barnual 95gr. I ordered a makarov barrel and I will complete this project early next week. (Hopefully)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, after looking at the finsih for a bit, it really looks like stainless. I compaired it with my stainless 357 and it matches.

I really hope that it is stainless, I looked at the history on the net and all I came up with was, on the orginal box, it said "satin" finish, with no indication of nickle or stainless.

How would I tell? I tried a magnet and it seems to match with my other makarov, any thoughtts?

After looking hard at Makarov.com, it looks like my model is a satin stainless finish.

The entire frame is stainless, even in inner workings of the firearm.

·
Registered
399 Posts
According to Makarov.com:

Russian commercial, "satin" stainless steel: $200 - $300. About 15,000 were imported

Sounds like you found one of the less common varients. I'd like to find one of those.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the info from MAKAR.COM:

What's my Makarov worth?
Price is always difficult to nail down because ultimately it comes down to what the buyer and the seller are willing to agree upon. Having said that, here are some guidelines for the most common Makarov pistols. We assume that the pistol is in very good to excellent condition and includes at least 2 magazines. Aftermarket and original accessories are extra.

East German: $200 - $250
Bulgarian military or police: $125 - $175
Bulgarian Miltex "Special Edition": $200 - $300 depending on finish.
Norinco Type 59: $200 - $275 Note: These are becoming exceedingly uncommon and thus may fetch an even higher price
Russian Military: $175 - $250
Russian commercial (IJ-70, fixed rear sight, single stack magazine, 9x18M or .380 ACP, blued): $150 - $200
Russian commercial high capacity (IJ-70-18H or IJ-70-17H): $175 - $250 Note: 12-round magazines add about $50 each to the value
Russian commercial, "satin" stainless steel: $200 - $300. About 15,000 were imported.
Russian commercial, nickel: $200 - $300. About 15,000 were imported. The finish on these is VERY thin.
Simson-Suhl German Makarov: $275 - $400. These are quite rare and owners tend to jealously guard them. SOG had some a while back, but they were gone almost instantly.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shoot! you edited your post before I could post the info! You are speedy.

Yes, I think that it is the stainless, but I hate the 9X17, I cannot wait to rebarrel this sucker

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm seeing reports of typically 20% or more higher than most of the prices listed on everything except the Bulgarians.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts