1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a gun show where I found a new series 70 in stainless. The owner said he has shot about 60 rounds through it just to see how it shoots. He is not a dealer, so the $700 he is asking is out the door. It looks brand new and has the box and all the paper with it. I could not find any flaws on it anywhere except minor handling scratches.

It this worth buying to put in the safe and hope the price will go up? I already have a NRM stainless commander that I love to shoot, so I don't need another shooter.

Sigmund:confused:

·
Registered
232 Posts
How did it shoot? He might be trying to pass a problem off to you.
If you can, break it down and make sure that he/someone hasn't done any hack work on it. How bad are the scratches? It's not a bad prices if its in good shape.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course, he saild it shot well. I did field strip it, and it looked ok as far as I could tell. Anything in particular I should look for?
The few scratches are only surface scratches.

Sigmund

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Sounds like a good price to me. You're certainly not going to get a new one at that price and it sounds like that one is practically new. If you like the gun and you want it, get it. I don't think you'll lose any money on the deal (IMO).....Sam

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
That's the best price on a new SS-70 I've heard of.

·
Administrator
73,786 Posts
If the guy only shot 60 rounds, I too wonder why he's selling it so soon. OTOH if there's nothing wrong with it that's a helluva deal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Check out the link on DSK signature line, if the guy will let you do the function check on DSK's sight, and check out the link to the Series 70 review. Look for the obvious like dremel marks, make sure its not a series 70 slide on a series 80 frame, and check and see if its a dimpled barrel. I've learned the hardway at gunshows, deals that are too good to be true usually are. YMMV. On the note of wanting a collectors piece why not drop the extra $$ and buy a new one. Unfired (other than factory) always brings in extra cash.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your feedback. Like you say, if it is too good to be true, it probable is. I guess I have to make my mind up one way or the other by tomorrow.

Sigmund

·
Registered
470 Posts
Cash Talks

Around Christmas time it's not uncommon for people to rethink their priorities. Make an eductaed decision but don't be afraid of a good deal.:p

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I agree with Roboshred. People change their minds all the time, creating great deals for people like you and me. I also agree with DSK, make sure it hasn't been hacked up. Read his sticky on how to inspect a used gun before you go back to look at it again. Good luck in your endeavor.....Sam

BTW Roboshred. Did you ever consider that maybe you just "Appear" more conservative in California?

·
Registered
470 Posts
True story

BTW Roboshred. Did you ever consider that maybe you just "Appear" more conservative in California?
You may be speaking in many truths. I like to say that a "Texas liberal" would be a "California conservative". I've lived and have relatives and friends that have lived all over the US. Peoples' definition of conservative and liberal are not universal so much as they are situational. A bit off topic but you made an astute observation. I'm more libertarian than conservative but people falsely interchange libertarian with liberal and I can't allow that when describing my values. I'm off the soap box. I say buy the SS Colt. It needs a safe home. ;)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
People change their minds... as dsk can tell you when he recently auctioned off his stainless NRM 1991 to pay for a stainless series 70.

Just because it's barely used, does not mean it's a bad gun, unless......... dsk was really just dumping a lemon?! :biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Take my word for it, that 1991 isn't a lemon. :cool:

·
Administrator
73,786 Posts
John, I just sold the other NRM stainless I had as well. There was simply no point in keeping so many stainless Colts around, now that I have two SS Series 70's. While the NRM S80 guns are excellent pistols, the narrow barrel hood and FPS caused them to fall out favor with me once the mil-spec stainless S70's came out.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
sigmund said:
It this worth buying to put in the safe and hope the price will go up? I already have a NRM stainless commander that I love to shoot, so I don't need another shooter.

Sigmund:confused:
If your intent is to invest, forget it... there are better investment opportunities than to buy a current production Colt in "hopes" that you will "make money" by keeping it. It may be that you'll keep it without enjoying shooting it until you die (thinking/hoping it will increase somewhat in value) and your wife's next boyfriend will enjoy breaking it in for you.

I'd say buy it if you like it and would enjoy shooting it. If you like shooting the Commander, you'll love shooting the Government size. Otherwise, if you want an investment, look to Mutual Funds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts