1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i was wondering if carbon steel has advantages over stainless steel. and not just all guns are made of stainless.

Greetz
Peter

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Carbon steel has a slight advantage over stainless if you are building (machining) a 1911's slide/frame. It is slightly "softer" and easier to machine. Carbon steel pistols tend to be less expensive than stainless, partly because of this reason.

Stainless has better rust resistancy, and is easy to refinish if you should ever scratch it. Carbon steel with blued finish, would require a complete re-bluing if you were to repair a scratch - although cold blue can look OK - although I have not really found one that is durable enough.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with Shane, I would also add that many shooters feel a carbon steel gun seems to cycle slightly smoother due perhaps to different coefficient of frictions in Carbon and Stainless. Some don't notice it, some do. On stainless guns, you sometimes need to worry about galling (pitting) of the material which is essentialy its mode of rusting, but to a less dramatic extent. Both are great materials and both require maintainace. If you have any hope that you can at least wipe down a gun for 2 mintues after you shoot it, I wouldn't fret to much.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Galling has nothing to do with rust or corrosion. When two stainless surfaces are in sliding contact, there is the possibility that they will "cold weld" and sieze up. If forced, the surfaces can rip gouges from each other.

I'm no metallurgist, but I understand this phenomenon arises from nickel content, and is more probable when the two surfaces are made from the same stainless alloy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I stand corrected, I believe you are correct on the galling issue. Thanks Monster!! However, stainless can and does rust, it's just much more tolerant to the elements.

·
Registered
112 Posts
if its going to bounce around in the truck or such place i'd vote for stainless. if its gonna be kept up jest for tha range i'd say the blue is prettier.
blessings

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How fast do u geat holster wear on a blued gun,
i mean i just want to carry it occasionaly at home or on an ipsc shooting.

Greetz

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Holster wear and Grey hair.

If they both are earned righteously and honestly, they should be considered badges of honor, and treated accordingly!!...:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts