1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
I absolutely love mine! It is a good looking piece and it is tough and highly functional.

One of the best pistols I've ever had. I've owned S&W, Colt, Ruger, Beretta, Taurus, Kahr, FN. Overall...there are none that I would rather have.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I love my SS Pro Carry, well it's not home yet! Just stopped by my local gun shop to LOOK;) at what mite be there today.Walked in and looked down and saw a Kimber SS Pro Carry in the case. It was used but it looked 100%. I asked to look at it.....and I could not put it back.Their were people standing there like they were waiting for me to put it down.So, I told The man behind the counter to put it in the back.I put it on lay-a-way.I will come back Fri. and pick it up!(Pay Day) Man I can't wait!!

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the stainless HD (stainless frame instead of Al) version.

I am quite pleased with it. 1250 rounds through it in the last 6 months.

2 faliure to feed. One was a bent PMC round. Could not make it chamber no matter what I did.

The other is puzzling. It looked like the round got inverted somehow. It was pointing down--Wilson 47 mag.

·
Registered
171 Posts
45ACPGUY.... I'm stoked for you man. You will not be disappointed.
Glad you beat those other chumps to the prize!!..

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
Great pistols! I'm still looking for a Pro SLE...;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the backstrap plastic?

I was checking our the checkering on the backstrap and the material seems to be of plastic. Say it ain't so!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine isn't stainless, but I do have a Pro Carry II and love it. It is one of my favorite guns.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have the Pro Carry SLE.

The original mainspring housing is checkered plastic. It's not often referred to as the backstrap, that sounds like a revolver term, for some reason. The plastic piece is no longer on my pistol, I put in an arched serrated stainless mainspring housing.

The biggest single improvement is putting on some Ahrends grips. Wow, what a change. Looks great. I had Cordia wood, but just ordered Tulipwood to modify for the Wilson clip on mag well. (Have to 'relieve' the inside of the grips for it.)

I also am having the frontstrap checkered right now, and an ambi-safety put on, new extractor, and some other stuff (trigger job.) After I put in the Wilson #19 mainspring, the trigger pull was 3.75 pounds, but it wasn't breaking like I wanted, so off to McDougals.

Really like this gun, have used it for IPSC, and IDPA. Very reliable, AFTER I started using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. This gun has only fired my reloads. I voided the warranty with the first shot. On the other hand, the first four shots, the holes were touching each other.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the SS PRO Carry and I really like it.I put about 800 rounds thru it this summer without a single problem.I highly recommend this gun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New ss mainspring housing

Thanks Ranger for:
a) correcting my terminology in positive way.
b) where did you get your new ss mainspring housing?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Got mine SS housing from 45gunparts.com. I think it's just John Masen, it's not good quality.

Since then, Ed Brown started making them, and that's where I would go now, for sure.

Nobody else makes them, that I know of, other than these two, Brown, and Masen. Oh, well, maybe Colt, now. (Serrated, arched, stainless mainspring housing.)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have a stainless Pro Carry I in .40 - one of my most accurate guns, including a Gold Cup. Never a problem. I have stored my Colt.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It took a while, but I did find me a SLE a few years back. I tossed the plastic MSH and replaced it with an arched model also. Polished the internals and replaced the grips. I have been lucky as I have never had a problem with the Kimber mag shipped with it. It turned out to be a quite accurate pistol.
I don't shoot it much these days, but don't nobody get their hopes up as it has a home and have no desire to leave.

·
Registered
101 Posts
How do the mags that come with the Pro Carry II Stainless seem to work?
I'm probably going to pick one up very soon and I wonder if I should pick up few wilson 47d's just in case?

This is a relatively old link, anyone gotten a PC2 Stainless lately and want to brag? :p

I purchased some Speer HP ammo and I'm hoping it's going to work ok, I'll keep you posted!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Smith & Alexander only seem to have checkered on their web-site, not serrated.

Brown recently added arched serrated to their product line.

Rock River Arms also sells arched serrated, but blue only.

The one factory mag I got gave me no problems. But I wanted six of the same (I used my Pro Carry in IPSC a few times.) I think I wound up with the Wilson 10-rounds. All my mags work fine in this one, Ed Brown, Wilson, Metalform, Kimber factory, cheap junk, all of them work.

Just got back my Pro Carry from McDougals, the 25 line checkering is PERFECT. This makes the gun now look as good as a Wilson Combat. It is just outstanding. They didn't put on the mag well, is the only disssapointment. But I guess I can live without it, as this is now my IDPA gun, no more IPSC (got a different one for IPSC now.)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a Stainless Pro Carry HD II, been a great gun so far and it's my main carry piece. Only mod is a serrated flat steel MSH I picked up from Aleko.

Going on about 2500 rounds, had to replace the recoil spring a couple times now, Kimber says they only last about 800 rounds :hrm:

Other than that, runs like a champ. :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts