1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am new to this forum and relatively new to 1911's, only had a ruger sr 1911 for a couple of years. Figured I would upgrade from the Ruger and found what seems to be a good deal at my lgs. It's a used Kimber stainless raptor ii. Never shot a kimber but all the things I see on YouTube and forums is they are great for "entry level"of custom 1911s. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! uploadfromtaptalk1439679739918.jpg

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I don't own a Raptor, but I do own a half a dozen or so other Kimbers. I have never had a problem with any of them. I liked one so well that I used it as a base for a custom build. It is important to note that Kimber is not a custom 1911 maker. Kimber produces run of the mill assembly line 1911s. They are similar to those made by Colt and Springfield with the exception of those built by the Springfield Custom Shop.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand there is a huge difference in the Kimber and others like WC and Ed Brown and so on. So the better term is middle of the road 1911. Not entry level but not high end. I take it most owners have had a good experience with Kimber?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Sometimes Kimber gets a bad rap on the gun forums. IMO, people who do experience a problem with a Kimber tend to be a lot more vocal than those who do not. Kimber produces more 1911s in a given year than similar producers. If they weren't a decent gun, Kimber's business wouldn't be as good as it is. I am not brand loyal like a lot of guys on the 1911 forum. If I had a problem with Kimber, I would dump them ASAP and not recommend them to anyone. However, thus far, I have had good luck with them.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I own a ss ultra raptor ii. It's my edc and I love it.

·
Premium Member
5,405 Posts
I have 3", 4" and 5" Raptors, they are my EDC's, the weather and clothes determine which one. Great guns in my opinion. Never had any issues at all.

Get it, shoot it and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have a Raptor Ultra. Great gun. (And a Micro Raptor!)
I have six other 1911 style Kimbers. Great guns!

Well made, accurate, 100% reliable.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Raptor II

I own a Raptor II (new when purchased) and have been shooting it for 1.5 years (a couple thousand rounds through it) Changed out the mainspring housing to Ed brown chainlink, springs at about 1k rounds, barrel bushing Love the look of the raptor II ss. It shoots well. Only issue I had was the ambi safety. Was letting a friend shoot it and he torqued the left side safety and broke it. Kimber replaced it for free. Any idea how many rounds have been shot with it? Have the seller break it down and inspect it for wear and tear. Will they let you shoot it before you buy? Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have had my SS Pro Raptor for 6 months now and put about 3k rounds through it so far without a single issue. At 1k rounds I replaced the recoil spring to Wolff and swapped to an EB chainlink mainspring housing. It's currently my EDC and I love it!

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
Next to the TLE line, Raptors are my favorite line of Kimbers. The stainless ones even more so. Definitely buy this one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No real Idea on round count but looked clean when I looked inside. And it's at a lgs that I trust so I'm sure they will let me break it down. Really willing to give it a try. Priced under 850 out the door so I don't think I will get hurt.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
My 5" Raptor is equal in accuracy & reliability to many of my other 1911's, some costing more, some costing less. But, it's got an astehtic appeal that captured my attention years ago and still does today.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't look back

No real Idea on round count but looked clean when I looked inside. And it's at a lgs that I trust so I'm sure they will let me break it down. Really willing to give it a try. Priced under 850 out the door so I don't think I will get hurt.
Bearded, if you like it and it meets what YOU desire in a 1911, go for it. It won't matter 100 years from now. :biglaugh

I've never regretted purchasing my raptor ii and am very happy with it. Looks good, shoots well!

Good luck on your decision

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Nothing but good with my Pro Raptor. Only changes were replacing the old recoil spring and guide rod with Wilson's flat wire assembly and replacing the factory trigger with a Harrison short trigger 'cause of very small hands.

Fun on the range and great carry piece.

image.jpg

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
Are the night sights bright? I will assume it has an internal extractor. @ $850, Buy it!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts