1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.springfieldarmory.com/images/pistols/PX9151LLarge.jpg

If the tax refund goes well, I am considering replacing my S&W 4506 with the above pistol. No flames needed on the smith. Its big, heavy and works well.

However, working for a small SO has it advantages, including carrying locked and cocked.
If someone has a better idea on a 1911 for the same or less money please respond.

I do like Springfields web site. It is user friendly. Maybe its my old eyes, but the pictures are much better than COLTS. (HINT HINT HINT to Colt)

I think I have come full circle. My first 1911 was a AMT stainless govt model. Noone else made them in those days. Once I replaced AMTs crummy magazines with Pachmyers, it was a damn good gun. Somewhere along the way it went for a wonder nine.
It was a good idea at the time.
Hindsite is always 20/20

Thanks

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
Kels,

You're right, working for a small SO is pretty nice. I've worked for the smae agency for over 24 years, and I can't convince myself to retire when I'm elegible to next year.

Our agency issues Glock 22s and 23s, but our Sheriff will allow Deputies to carry other handguns upon request. I was the first to be authorized to carry a 1911, (it's GOOD to be the firearms instructor!) and there are currently two others who carry 1911s as well. The only downside is that he only buys ammo in 9mm and 40, so those of us who carry 45s have to provide our own.

My current service pistol is a stainless Springfield M1911-A1 "Loaded" Service model, with XS 24/7 Big Dot sights and a GI recoil spring guide and plug. I've had really good luck with it so far.

Good luck,

·
Registered
135 Posts
kels,

I have 2 Springfields that I use for duty:
1. TRP stainless (replaced fixed rear sites with adjustables)
2. Black stainless w/ custom finger-groove/wrap-around grips (made by my father)

I tend to trade them out every now and then...just for grins. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
614 Posts
I tried a stainless Springfield for duty. It rusted! I went back to my matte finish blue Colt. I have had no problems with the matte finish. A fellow officer suggested waxing might prevnt the surface rust on the stainless. A couple of city guys were given Springfield XDs to try out, they both complained of rust. Another agency had one other XD and it was rusting also. I have had NOTHING but T-rouble out of my Springfield 1911s. I was looking at a XD but, not anymore. Check out a NRM basic Colt 1991A1. They don't rust.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Josey,

I'm interested in your post. Can you provide specifics?
Which SA model?
Where do you work/what is the climate like?
How old was the pistol?
What sort of duty holster were/are you using?
Did you buy the pistol new/used?
What areas were specifically affected by rust?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Check out the Kimber TLE. I have one adn LOVE the sights and the new external extractor. I know there is a lot of controversy over it and the FPS, but both have been great on my gun.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I carried a blued Springfield 1911 for about 10 years before going to the Glock 35.

The Springfield was never a probelm and still isn't. The problem with the Stainless rusting was a leather problem I bet.

G

·
I have 5 Springfield 1911's, I carry them all from time to time, (its good to be the Chief)....I have never had a problem with any of them. Some of my officers now are going to Springfield 1911's and getting rid of the glocks....The scores soared after switching....:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Our guys use SA LWs and SS loaded models predominately with the Safariland SSIII.

We're in New England, so the guns see just about everything including the current 60+ degrees going on right now in winter.

The guys who carry the LW, myself included, swear it makes a difference in a Sam Browne while on your feet for hours on end (ie. traffic details).

The LW also carrys much more comfortably than my previously carried loaded full size while off duty in an IWB.

The gun handles just fine and scores, as well as confidence, have all risen.

Maintenance is the same for the SS, the LW or a blued piece..lightly wipe it down when you're done with it. Contrary to some misconceptions, stainless steel can very well oxidize. They all do it.

Losing eight ounces plus is nothing to sneeze at over a 20 + year career. Think of your back and hips now, not at the ass end of your career.

The uneducated comments about the cocked and locked carry aside still make it a superb sidearm for the troops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts