1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a nib MilSpec and was thinking of replacing the barrel bushing. The one the pistol has on it, seem's a tad loose. I think the overall accurancey would be better. Most everything else will stay the same,nice gun. My question is, has anyone bought a MilSpec and done this them self without sendind the pistol to a smith ?:confused:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I did it with a GI, just measured the ID of the slide, the OD of the barrel and sent the measurements to EGW. The bushing was tight, but dropped in. The difference was like night and day.

EAL

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I've fitted a bushing myself, but you have to know what your doing. The best thing to do would be to order one made to measure from EGW.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a Colt that had the collet bushing that broke after a few years, I ordered an oversize solid bushing from Denny's Shooters Supply. I got some emory cloth and just wrapped it around the bushing and started turning and sanding. I would sand for awhile, try the fit and then sand some more until it fit snug. I still have that pistol 20 years later and it still shoots great. I guess I wrote all that trying to say it isn't that hard at all. You just need a little patience and some free time.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You'll need a set of calipers to measure the barrel. I wraped a piece of sandpaper around a wooden dowel to sand the inside of the bushing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts