1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious about what your preferences and likes/dislikes between stainless guns and blue (KimPro) guns are. I have always carried stainless but have recently come across a Series I that I am considering purchasing with the KimPro finish. If I was to use this as a carry/competition weapon, does this finish hold up pretty well? Do they tend to rust much quicker? Thanks in advance for your input!

· Registered
58 Posts
I have a blued Kimber Royal II and the finish is awesome in my eyes. I've seen a lot of "blue jobs" on rifles (remmington, mossberg, traditions,.....) but kimbers is beautiful. Smooth and shiny ( i don't carry concealed so the shiny is nice) unlike parkerized. It probably doesn't hold up as nice as SS agianst holster wear but i think good holster wear gives a 1911 some character.

· Registered
496 Posts
I had a black oxide Ultra carry, that rusted in one day of carry, inside the waistband! The left side of the frame and slide had tremendous amounts of surface rust. Maybe my sweat is funky...and living in a Central Florida beach community probably doesn't help! Sold the Ultra and got a Compact Stainless!

· Premium Member
19,345 Posts
The only blued Kimbers are Royals. The majority of the non-stainless guns are black oxide. You can almost scrape it off with a fingernail.

· Premium Member
19,345 Posts
I'm exagerating a bit! I've only got one Kimber in black oxide (an old Clackamas), and I never carry it. I've seen many on the range and they will show holster carry, but so does blue. They're easy to refinish, but many guys are finding stainless steel under Kimber's black oxide. If that's the case, it's a simple matter to bead blast it to a matte stainless finish. We have many members carrying and recommending that finish to others! I wouldn't let it get in the way if I wanted the pistol otherwise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.