1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's my Springfield Armory Stainless Loaded...

I got tired of seeing almost ALL the stainless models that looked the same.
I bead-blasted my slide, masking off the "name plates" and the personal ingraved area. I protected the rails, breach-face / firing pin area, the slide hood lugs, and removed the Novak > blasted away... I also modified the slide release, and blasted it. The Novak was blasted, & cold re-blued.

What do you think?
:rock:

·
Registered
893 Posts
If you're happy with it, who are we to comment? :D

I bead-blasted my TRP stainless when it started to get a bit worn. I personally like a uniform bead-blast on the entire piece- personally I would not mask off any areas.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Archer:
I would have blasted the whole slide, but I FREAKED OUT, and was affraid I would destroy the stamped lettering & my personal ingraving.

That's why I left the Springfield "shield" uncovered, as a test.

Next time I will blast the whole thing... (I want to be just like you!)

Thanks for your imput. I was hoping to get more - slaps on the back OR flames. Oh well...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Stainless,

As long as you are BEAD blasting (with glass beads, as opposed to sand blasting) you won't hurt the rollstamp or engraving at all. Just keep the nozzle moving and don't overdo it.

Beadblasting with fresh beads will not remove material nearly the way sandblasting will.

One of the best things about a stainless pistol is the ease of refinishing to new condition.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Dull and shiny?

Dull and shiny?

Dull or shiny?

Make up your mind! Either blast the whole thing, or leave it be!

BTW..the masking thing...ummmm...well...errrr...hey, is that Elvis over there?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that's what I wanted to hear...

Opinions make the world go round. Or is that money makes...

Keep 'em coming, I'm a big boy, I can take the mud-slingin' - can't hurt my feelings!

I'll end up blasting again, sometime soon. (I've been waiting for a friend to let me use his blaster @ work, since Thanksgiving!!)

I have even decided I would purchase the supplies to build my own blast cabinet, since I had a month to think about it.

Any more comments, on wanting to be "different"??? lol

Thanks,

·
Registered
210 Posts
You know, maybe if you had done the masking a bit differently, it might look a little better. Perhaps an oval - or something else other than a box.

And yeah, I would've done the frame too.

However, you're a bigger man than I am for even attempting this! More power to ya!

·
Registered
163 Posts
interesting! but i agree you need to frame the untreated area better. it needs a more definitive boundary. i think, artistically?, it's preety cool. just needs to be better executed. you got balls tho' for trying!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Rick, Jeeps...

I had already blasted the top of the slide, one other time. I was impressed on how close the finish was to the factory finish. The media used here is a little smaller (more fine) so it's a bit smoother than the factory job.

The way I look at it, if you prepare well, take your time masking off the areas that you do not what effected & go slow with the blaster > give it hell-go for it.

As far as the frame? Not sure there...

Maybe someday.

BTW: I'm planning to build my OWN blasting cabinet - so look out! Everything I own, may somehow find it's way into the cabinet! lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts