1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yup, easier yet is the Excel spreadsheet function STDEV.

To find the standard deviation of a set of numbers click in the cell where you want the result to be. Type "=" then "stdev". Click and select your range of numbers. Then finish off the formula by typing ")", hit Enter.

I also use the functions AVERAGE for finding the average velocity of a chrono sample, LARGE for finding the fastest velocity, and SMALL for the slowest velocity. Calculate extreme spread by subtracting SMALL from LARGE.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Yup, easier yet is the Excel spreadsheet function STDEV.

To find the standard deviation of a set of numbers click in the cell where you want the result to be. Type "=" then "stdev". Click and select your range of numbers. Then finish off the formula by typing ")", hit Enter.

I also use the functions AVERAGE for finding the average velocity of a chrono sample, LARGE for finding the fastest velocity, and SMALL for the slowest velocity. Calculate extreme spread by subtracting SMALL from LARGE.
That's pretty much what I meant.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Who cares? In an interview, Bo Clerke, barrel maker, was asked what the most important stat was. He answered that extreme spread was the only real consideration as this would determine trajectory and impact point. I have never understood the interest in SD.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I have never understood the interest in SD.
I'll bet it's a lot like readers digest. Many do not see the need for summaries.

All I care is that the number be relatively low. The lower, the more consistent. But then again extreme spread tells you a lot also (does tend to ignore if there was a single "oopsie" out of twenty or more).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts