1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a FLGR on my TRP that I am sick of. I want to swap out to a standard GI setup but don't know if just any drop-in part will work for my gun. And if so who makes the best standard parts. Will I need Springfield to do it? I know that my TRP is not a custom gun, but it does have some minor hand fitted parts, so does that mean that modifications need to be made to swap it out? Any help from you guys who have swapped out one yourselves would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yup, just any drop-in part will work for the GI guide rod setup. First thing I did to my TRP was to ditch the FLGR, along with ditching the ILS for a S&A magwell MSH.

·
Registered
539 Posts
It is likely dependant on the gun itself, and the FLGR design.

The two spring guide rods (as in the Micro Compact) allow easier cocking, and more slide speed/momentum before the slide reaches the end of travel. They will also have somewhat better spring action, since the force is directed more or less straight back, due to the guide keeping them straight. This is probably not a very big issue, BUT with the smaller, lighter slide, it's probably just one more component in making them work better.

4-5" barreled guns don't seem to have any need for a FLGR, again likely due to the original gun being designed without one! :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thinking of going with an ED Brown setup.
The reason I don't like the FLGR is that the two piece always seems to come unscrewed during firing sessions, no matter how tight I have it. Perhaps this could be corrected by Loc-Tite, but I really don't want to put that stuff on the internal of the gun. I could also get a one piece FLGR, but that would still preclude me from being able to clear stoppages one handed. This is the main benefit I'm looking for with a standard setup. I've tried one-hand clearings by racking the slide against gear or boots or pants but the sights are snag free and the spring is 18 lbs, so that is hard to do with FLGR. I have been in training sessions where I was required to practice one-hand clearing (with dummy rounds of course) and was unable to do so.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I replaced the FLGR set-up on my loaded model with an Ed Brown GI style guide rod and plunger. It was a drop-in switch, and, if anything, the pistol shoots better than it did with the FLGR.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I just did the conversion on mine, after reading about it on this very forum. About $33 from Ed Brown and about 3 minutes to remove the old parts and install the new ones. I had the same problem with the 2 piece guide rod coming unscrewed, not a problem any more.

The only problem with ordering from Ed Brown, they send you a catalog with your order. Too much candy to look at in those.:)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yes, there's an advantage.

Most serious users of the 1911 prefer the G.I. set up due to the ability to rack the slide one handed much easier. It can be done with either set up by the rear sight, but most rear sights these days are not conducive to it as they are blended and have tapers on the front edges.

There is no real advantage to the FLGR other than in a game gun, when the heavy tungsten rods can add weight up front which some like.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts