1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the full length guide rod out of my full size Kimber CDP and put the standard old-style short spring guide in instead (what do you call that short stubby guide rod anyway?). The gun seems to function fine, but it makes more "crunchy" sounds as the spring compresses with the slide being hand cycled. Is this normal?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by scorn (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
It's just called the Recoil Spring Guide.

I had the opposite experience; I put in a WilsonCombat Full Length Guide Rod and after that, my GI/Essex wouldn't feed reliably. Had to take it back out.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it..."

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Totally normal. Now that the spring doesn't have a guide rod supporting it all the way through it's cycle, the spring is free to move slightly up and down. This movement being between the barrel and dust cover. All you hear is the spring making contact with the dust cover as it is compressed. I pull the FLGR out of all my carry 1911's, I just never thought they made sense in a conventional 1911. The idea that the FLGR keeps the spring from bending and possibly kinking is preposterous. The spring has no place to go it’s captured between the barrel and the dust cover. IMO the only thing a FLGR dose is add weight. I’ve got plenty of guns with FLGRs, and most of the time I just leave them alone. But for carry guns, I prefer the simpler JMB design. You did replace the spring plug too, didn’t you?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I replaced the plug too. I just took the whole unit out of an olf Colt of mine and installed it. There have been no reliability problems, just "crunchety" sounds when I hand cycle it.
I like it a lot better without the FLGR. It saves weight, and I like being able to check the chamber and even cycle it by pushing on the dust cover.
From what everyone has told me (all gunsmiths and other knowledgeable indivuduals about 1911's) the FLGR really does absolutely nothing to make the gun more accurate or work better in any way, except add weight to the muzzle. Since I carry this gun a lot, the extra ounce or two here and there makes a difference.

Someone on these forums said that that some company makes Delrin polymer FLGR's but I have never seen where to buy one.

[This message has been edited by scorn (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,003 Posts
With the gun in battery, there's about 3/8" of the spring that isn't either in contact with the ouside of the guide or inside of the plug; where's it gonna go? I have a gun that was slightly mis-cast, and the FLGR prevents the spring guide from rocking around in the frame. Now, THAT was crunchy.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I haven't seen any Delrin FLGR's offered but it would be easy enough to make one. I don't think I'd trust one though. Delrin is strong and tough but is what they call "notch sensitive", in other words, it will break pretty easily if you give it a starting point like a sharp corner.

Somebody is making FLGR's that are steel and drilled out. If you can't find one you could have somebody drill one out for you or flute it.

S'true that their biggest advantage is that they make the gun sound and feel smoother-- not a genuine advantage, but hey, I feel that if you want one you should have one. 'Nother thing you can do that might help with the standard setup is make sure the inside of your recoil spring plug is smooth so the spring does not have ridges in there to grate past.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Ned Christiansen
I haven't seen any Delrin FLGR's offered but it would be easy enough to make one. I don't
think I'd trust one though. Delrin is strong and tough but is what they call "notch
sensitive", in other words, it will break pretty easily if you give it a starting point like a
sharp corner.

Hi Ned, Chuck Hiett of red buffs made one for a couple years, they were KooL in steel guns but like you said, not for carry aplication.

Somebody is making FLGR's that are steel and drilled out. If you can't find one you could
have somebody drill one out for you or flute it.
Yes, we Offer one, Just do not drill too close to the threads
. and Yes you can have one dilled out by many gunsmith's. One nice thing on the hollow rod is we use the Long back peice and it makes assembly eaiser.

S'true that their biggest advantage is that they make the gun sound and feel smoother--
not a genuine advantage, but hey, I feel that if you want one you should have one. 'Nother
thing you can do that might help with the standard setup is make sure the inside of your
recoil spring plug is smooth so the spring does not have ridges in there to grate past.

as usual, right on.
if you want one, great
if you do not, great.
use the cap with no hole would be a plus.
and they will usually work either way.
geo ><>

Hopefully we can skip the part about getting killed by them

·
Registered
696 Posts
My experiences with full length recoil spring guides are as follows: I tried a Detonics rod in a Colt Gov't. Mdl. and the slide wouldn't fully retract.Junk bin that baby. Next I bought the first Springfield Loaded series I found and after cleaning ,etc. the rod unscrewed after only 50 or 60 rds. of soft reloads.Also I couldn't press check it the way I always did with the rod in place.So I junk binned that also_On the past three Loaded's I've changed them to standard plug & guides rods right away.The only sucessfull full length rod set up I've ever had is the Colt Officers that I installed a Wilson reverse plug & rod ass'y. in mainly to eliminate the weak plug tab Colts are designed with.(my buddies plug went down range in less than 100rds. out of a brand new colt officers).As far as grunchy sounds,I can't hear due to too many years of no ear plugs way back before anyone knew better.Besides JMB designed it with a short guide.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
"Hopefully we can skip the part about getting killed by them".... me too....

Hey George, whaddya say we go the other way and collaborate on the design of a new, life-saving guide rod that chambers a .22 magnum, so that if, say, after 27 reloads the fight is still not over, and you need just one more shot, you can fire this .22 mag by maybe holding a Bic lighter under the dust cover until it cooks off?

Dep. Tom, I remember those Detonics rods-- man that was a while ago. That was the first use I ever saw of a urethane buffer, and I liked that it was sandwiched between two steel plates. Had the dual springs and all-- I used it on a bowling pin gun for a long time and it seemed to work well in my case, I don't recall any problem with it locking back or anything.

Keeping it simple by not using a guide rod-- nothing wrong with that. I'm about 50/50 on them-- not a big issue for me either way.

·
2,895 Posts
Anybody have one of those Detonics Rods sitting around for a 5" govt in EXCELLENT condition that they want to sell CHEAP???

Actually found a use for one.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
James, what kind of dumb little knick-nak do you have to trade for one? Got any duplicate Velvet Elvis paintings or maybe half a roll of Ayatollah toilet paper? OK, if not, I'll just send it to you (assuming I find it; pretty sure I still have it), and next time you're at the dump you can pick out something nice for me! Email me and less makink deal.

·
2,895 Posts
Ned,

I think I have some old Raisin Bran and soem stale bread. That is about what those crappy Detonics Rods are worth....right?

Have you been collecting the state quarters...I hear New Jersey is worth about as much as a Detonics Rod.

I only get to the dump about once a month these days but I think we can drag something out for ya....I'll email

·
Registered
696 Posts
Originally posted by Ned Christiansen:

"Hopefully we can skip the part about getting killed by them".... me too....

Hey George, whaddya say we go the other way and collaborate on the design of a new, life-saving guide rod that chambers a .22 magnum, so that if, say, after 27 reloads the fight is still not over, and you need just one more shot, you can fire this .22 mag by maybe holding a Bic lighter under the dust cover until it cooks off?

Dep. Tom, I remember those Detonics rods-- man that was a while ago. That was the first use I ever saw of a urethane buffer, and I liked that it was sandwiched between two steel plates. Had the dual springs and all-- I used it on a bowling pin gun for a long time and it seemed to work well in my case, I don't recall any problem with it locking back or anything.

Ned, I told someone on this forum That I'd been around for a while.Just because there's snow on the roof,doesn't mean..er..eh??..well never mind.
tom.( first stages of altzheimers or just getting old?HA-HA!)

Keeping it simple by not using a guide rod-- nothing wrong with that. I'm about 50/50 on them-- not a big issue for me either way.
------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

[This message has been edited by deputy tom (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
23 Posts
standard length guide rod. where to get one?

I want to swap out my flgr in my SA loaded for a standard length rod and plug. where can i find the proper replacement parts? also, i have heard that the standard guide rod and plug design yeild better accuracy. has anyone experienced that? anyways, shoot your guns because its fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts