1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I started recycling brass picked up at the range a few years ago. When I started "bullet brass" (as they call it) paid $1.48/lb. The last time I brought in some brass for recycling I got $2.70/lb. I stopped keeping track of how much I've made on brass recycling when it exceeded $1,000, which was over a year ago.
So, material costs for Starline have skyrocketed too. So I continue to pick up range brass and reload it, or recycle it. I use the proceeds to buy new brass from Starline. I only reload for handguns but can reload Starline brass a dozen or more times before it starts getting tired.
Also, with the last batch of 45ACP brass I purchased from Starline, on the first reload, I got several "splits" out of 1,000 cases. I contacted Starline with photos and lot number. I didn't ask for anything. Just told them this was unusual for Starline brass. They sent me 200 pieces free, along with a "thank you" for the feedback.
As long as I can afford it, I'll continue to buy Starline. My only complaint is that so many of their products are out-of-stock.

Yes, make sure you vote at every opportunity, even the primaries. Hopefully after November things will start to get better.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Yeah, raw metals, from Aluminum to Zinc, have more than doubled in price since Good Ol' Joe took over. Another problem is "Green Laws" have shut down most non-ferrous metal smelting operations, so scrap copper/brass is shipped somewhere else to be smelted, and the standards of metal purity is not what ya get with certified virgin materials. Add the increasing cost of shipping/fuel, and supply chain problems. Recycled brass just does not behave when being extruded and formed.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
I've always been willing to pay a higher price for Starline because it's always been the highest quality and remains so. Has their prices gone up, you bet it has. Has the price on everything gone up, absolutely. Thank you Brandon.

Grumpy

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Until I find a suitable replacement (unlikely) I'll continue buying starline. I use it for the long line at 50 yds for Bullseye competition, because it tests better than any other brass I've found being sold at the moment. The mix head stamp stuff is fine for 25 yards and practice. The old military brass (which starline imitates) is the cat's behind, but finding old match ammo is $$$ and most of it is pretty hot stuff in ball form or JSWC.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,971 Posts
Star line brass has gotten real expensive. I don't think I'll be buying from them anymore though they make the best brass.
It's getting so it's not worth reloading anymore. I'll be voting republican this November that's for sure.
Starline doubled their price because the had to to stay in business.

ALL'A YA'LL who are bitching about prices and saying "I ain't gonna" are not going to get to play anymore
until you realize that the price of everything is going up.

Then you will either decide to pay the piper - or decide not to dance anymore.

Your choice.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
Until I find a suitable replacement I'll be stuck buying star line. I only use it for the long line 50 yds. The mix head stamp stuff is fine for 25 yards and practice.
I use plenty of mixed headstamp brass in most calibers. However, when I buy new brass, it always has been and will continue to be Starline. It may be costing twice as much as it did a year or two ago, but what isn’t? Try to buy $15/1,000 primers or $18/pound powder. It just isn’t like the “old days”. :(

Grumpy

·
Registered
91 Posts
Reloading is my therapist, I really don’t believe I can stop, I’m out in the shop daily doing something gun related . I certainly understand some stopping due to new hassle & prices.
Someone once told me that, "The test of a true vocation is the love of the drudgery it entails". Well, I guess firearms is my vocation. I enjoy everything related; collecting, shooting, reloading, reading about it, talking about it, etc. I've always said that reloading, for me, is like Zen meditation.

·
Registered
290 Posts
All my new brass purchases are Starline if they make it (no 25-20 dangit). The best brass I've ever dealt with was used in Browning ammo in the seventies. I have some of that .308 Win brass that is still going after 27 full power loads. Their .44 mag brass also seems everlasting. If you ever see any in the old black and shiny gold boxes, buy it.

·
Registered
6,942 Posts
Star line brass has gotten real expensive. I don't think I'll be buying from them anymore though they make the best brass.
It's getting so it's not worth reloading anymore. I'll be voting republican this November that's for sure.
Where are you buying your brass because I just looked up my history with starline since 2017 and I'm not seeing anything that's even close to doubled. You must be buying little 100 ct baggies of brass from a retailer or something. Starline has been remarkably stable as of late:

Just pulled my account from Starline for a quick comparison:
My order from fall 2017 was $101 now $116
My order from early 2020 before covid crap jacked prices up was $217 and now $243 today
My order in spring 2022 was $201 and now at $209

Considering what my other costs in life are compared to 2017 and 2020... Starline is not an issue in my circle.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
If Starline has gone up too much for consideration, have the other sources of brass stayed the same? Can you still get Winchester, Remington, Norma, and all the others at the price from two years ago or have they also priced themselves out of consideration?

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
If Starline has gone up too much for consideration, have the other sources of brass stayed the same? Can you still get Winchester, Remington, Norma, and all the others at the price from two years ago or have they also priced themselves out of consideration?
Haven't seen any reliable source for any other brand. Starline also supplies many smaller ammo companies.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts