1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of begging and pleading, Starline has finally rewarded us .45 ACP/.45 Auto-Rim revolver shooters with a choice of brass other than Remington for .45 Auto-Rim. Go to their website and you will see it is reasonably priced. I am ordering 1000 cases to start.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
What is the auto-rim case used for?I understand for the 45ACP revolver,but are'nt the moon clips and acp cases about as good as it gets.Just wondering what I'm missing out on.Wayne

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The .45 Auto-Rim gives the option of not using moon clips in a .45 ACP revolver. Sometimes it is easier to use the .45 Auto-Rim on the range or in the field, plus it eliminates the objections I keep hearing about using moon clips. The .45 Auto-Rim has a bit more case capacity and in a revolver with a fully supported chamber can basically duplicate .45 Colt (standard not Ruger level) loads if one handloads. It gives the .45 ACP revolver more versatility, not replacement of the moon clips which are decisive in a combat or competition setting.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Welcome, waynej1. Personally, I'm a fan of using the .45acp brass in my revolver, because I got used to the fast speedloads that moon clips gave me. However, some folks just don't care for the clips all that much. Kind of troublesome to pop the rounds in and out of the moonies themselves. Hence, the preference for the rimmed cases by some folk. And you can use a speedloader with the Auto Rim stuff, so restoking is still pretty quick. Just not Miculek-quick..;)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally use both .45 ACP in 1/3 or full moon clips or .45 Auto-Rim when I want to shoot heavy bullets out of my .45 ACP S&W double action revolvers. Single action revolvers of course, do not need to use moon clips with .45 ACP like the Colt SAA, Clones and the Ruger Vaquero/Blackhawk. I do segregate my .45 ACP brass into revolver only and automatic only lots. .45 Auto-Rim allows the gun to be used as a traditional revolver when it comes to loading and ejection and as has been pointed out saves some time in loading and unloading the moon clips. I have some friends that refuse to use moon clips and only shoot .45 Auto-Rim and others that just shoot .45 ACP in moon clips and segregate their brass. I guess it comes down to what you like or don't like about each cartridge.

·
Super Moderator
14,974 Posts
Virginian,

Did you ever get any feed-back from Starline about the A-R brass evaluation we did just recently? I've not heard from them.

Good shooting.

Rod.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RetiredRod:

I haven't heard anything either. My guess is the data and testing information on the .45 Auto-Rim we sent in was sufficent for Starline to put it into production. I had very good results with mine and can't wait until my 1000 cases arrive. Starline makes very tough and uniform brass and using it has always been a pleasure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts