1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two men shot dead by home invaders earlier this morning.

December 15, 2009
Suspect sought after Sacramento double killing

From Bill Lindelof:

Police are searching for a man who shot two people to death early this morning in south Sacramento.

Sacramento police Sgt. Norm Leong said that the double homicide occurred about 1 a.m. on the 2200 block of 18th Avenue just south of the Sutterville Road side of Sacramento City College.

A suspect broke into the residence and shot two of the four people inside, said Leong. The male victims, one 60 years old, the other in his 50s, died at the scene.

Two other adults were in the house when the shootings occurred.

Leong said that no details related to the suspect are being released. The motive for the killings is still being investigated.

"The suspect is at large, and although we believe at this point there is one suspect, we are not ruling out the possibility that there is more," said Leong.

·
Registered
694 Posts
what do you mean "from now on"?

I'm locked and loaded from the time I get up in the morning untill I go to bed.Except when I'm at school (gun free college :barf:) but even then its locked in the glove box.

·
Registered
651 Posts

I'm locked and loaded from the time i get up in the morning until i go to bed.Except when im at school (gun free college :barf:)
You should plan to move to Idaho or is it Utah that allows guns at colleges?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
That's true.. I work on-campus (TN) and they'll make it very rough on you here.. Even if its locked in the car.. Ron

good theory.

In reality I can go to prison where I can never carry and I would most definately need to, if I carried at school.

·
Registered
422 Posts
in virginia it's allowed on campus as long as it is concealed and you have a concealed carry permit and you don't go into any building

if you're a student and the school catches you, you can be expelled, but at least you wont be arrested.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
Note that the killings happened at 1am. The victims were likely shot as they slept, which means having a gun on them or nearby wouldn't have done much good. Your first tactic should always be to make it where it's difficult for somebody to enter your premises without being heard or detected. Otherwise, you could be sitting there laying on the couch watching TV with a full-blown tactical AR across your lap, and you'd still be shot dead before you had a chance to react.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
dsk, as always, terrific advice.
Remember 4 footed furry friends with teeth are your buddies at night.:)

That will help, assuming they do what they are supposed to do and make such a racket it wakes you up.
Never know, the BG might throw them a doggie treat and they retire to the corner for a good chew.

Coming out of a dead sleep into a life and death struggle has to hurt, assuming you live through it.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Note that the killings happened at 1am. The victims were likely shot as they slept, which means having a gun on them or nearby wouldn't have done much good. Your first tactic should always be to make it where it's difficult for somebody to enter your premises without being heard or detected. Otherwise, you could be sitting there laying on the couch watching TV with a full-blown tactical AR across your lap, and you'd still be shot dead before you had a chance to react.
That and a lot of times these attackers are people the victims knew at least casually. These people are opportunistic predators. You know what Sun Tzu said, you don't go into a fight that you cannot win or where you are at a clear disadvantage. The smart predators will give themselves the advantage, and there's nothing you can do about it but mitigate that possibility by making yourself a more difficult target than most in your area.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
Years ago at my folks' home they had the glass in a sliding door replaced. The guy who did it simply lifted the glass door right out of its channel, to our shock and surprise. He showed just how insecure those things are, and recommended using some device to keep the door from easily coming out. Something as simple as a piece of wood in the channel that prevents the door from sliding back is better than nothing. Otherwise somebody can easily get in without making hardly a sound. Same goes for sliding windows.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts

I'm locked and loaded from the time I get up in the morning untill I go to bed.
So, you don't have a gun loaded while you sleep? :confused:

One of my guns is loaded 24/7. If I'm going to switch guns, I load the new one before I unload the other.

I've had family ask me why I feel the need to carry even while at home. I always say, "Because criminals never call to make an appointment." :biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Almost all my life I have had a gun near the bed. But I do not make a point to carry at home, and have never seen a need to do so. If one is not involved with gangs or in an especially bad neighborhood it is my view that he is not in any more danger than getting struck by lightning.

I am not concerned about forced entries considering those odds. I also do not have a lightning rod on my house.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Start carrying at home

I experienced an attempted home invasion, while at home one night watching TV in my basement, my dog started barking frantically, I went upstairs and heard one person trying to remove a storm wingow and a second trying to break down the front door.

I shouted to them that I was calling the police, that had no effect as the kept on slamming their bodies into the door.

I then called the police and grabbed my fully loaded 870 tactical loaded with 9 rounds of buckshot. I racked the slide and yelled to them that the first one through the door was going to get a blast of #4 buckshot from 10 feet.

With that announcement they stopped and ran off. 15 minutes later the police arrived, after looking around they said the person or persons "probably had the wrong house" I said , pointing to my storm window half out of the track, "Do your visitors try to enter through the window" The cop told me to be careful before pointing a shotgun at people. I said well when they come through two locked doors, I'll remember that.

Jersey Law.:barf:

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
There you have it. Fido = early warning system. Without him you'd probably have still been watching TV when they came in, or only just gotten up after hearing them crash through.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Yes, 100%.

Protecting yourself from predators, is like protecting yourself from the cold;....it's done in layers. Layering your protection properly, takes away the predator's most important weapon..."Surprise". The moment he loses the element of surprise, a window of opportunity opens; for this brief moment he is vulnerable. This is your moment you put your offensive plan into action.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I suspect the first victim may have been asleep when shot, but the noise probably woke up the second victim.

Come to think of it, unless you are engaged in a dangerous profession (such as dope dealer) you probably won't get shot in your sleep by marauding ninjas or hapless visitors with the wrong address. Still having a loaded gun handy can easily turn the tables on the perps.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts