1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as handguns go, have owned many revolvers, and few autoloaders. Wish to step into the 1911 realm. Will start with a .45. I'm just guessing, so correct me if I'm wrong, I could try this with 1)a slide frame combo to start, and build from there, 2)a base grade gun that could serve as the starter, or 3)a company manufactured match grade gun to start with. I want it to serve as a dual function gun, a match grade shooter, and still usable as a defense gun. I have tried reading many magazines, but they seem to be biased at times. I have been searching out forums of actual 1911 users, so I can get suggestions before I undertake this. I'm sure I haven't thought of all the issues. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I would suggest starting with a nice base 1911 and go from there. It's hard to know what you really want until you see and experience all of the options. For instance, do you want Heinie Sights, Novak Sights or Bo-Mar Sights? Government or Commander? Blued, Stainless or Hardchrome? Standard grip safety or beavertail grip safety? If a beavertail, Ed Brown w/ or w/o memory groove, Smith & Alexander, Wilson, etc?

I'm not trying to confuse you, but these are just some of the many options on a nice custom 1911. If you don't know them or and have experienced none of them, it would be hard to gauge what you want. Laying out several thousand dollars for a custom one could be a mistake. Is the 1911 really for you? (Some don't like it). It would be a lot easier to sell a Colt for $500 than a custom gun for $2500.

My suggestion, buy a NRM (New Rollmark) 1991 Government or Commanderfrom Colt, depending on your area, $500-$600. Shoot it and see how you like it. Does the hammer bite you? Are the sights too small? Find out if you like it or not. Experience some sight options on other 1911s to see what you prefer.

After you have some more experience you will have a very nice base gun to have fully customized or slightly tweaked, it's up to you.

There are more options than Colt too. A lot of shooters are fans of the Springfiled Mil Spec models for a good base gun, or a Springfield Loaded model for a gun that comes with some typical upgrades, Novak sights, beavertail, etc.

I think Colt and Springfield are going to be the two best guns for a base gun. Kimbers are nice too, but I have heard (albeit unconfirmed) issues with the Schwartz safety system and the fact that Kimbers start at a higher price from what I have seen.

Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you for replying....
I will narrow my parameters, as follows.
1)Full size gun
2)Single stack
3)Blue or Stainless, preferably Blue
4)Solid bushing
5)NO series 80 firing pin block safety
6)Match barrel
7)De-horned
8)Night sights
9)Probably fixed sights, but would consider rear adjustable if not to bulky and very solid.

I have large hands, this affected my shooting with my Glock 40SW.
The only 1911, I've ever shot was a friends Gold Cup, That was a 1968 or 1969 era, I think. It is a fine gun, seems to fit my hand good. Does'nt pinch my hand. Not sure if or what after market changes he has made though.

I just want a good starter gun, I'm sure I will add things like a SA mag well, and other items I've heard so much about. Just need the starter gun, and would prefer it to be a complete gun to start, not a slide and frame, so I can try gun out as I'm building it, or re-building it, would be more correct.

Thanks again for any suggestions....

·
Premium Member
20,402 Posts
With those parameters, I'd look for an early (pre-series-II) Kimber Custom, either Classic or Stainless. That's the pistol that jump-started the 1911 market again. Well built, uniform pistols. To avoid a FPS in a Colt, you're looking at either older Series-70 (made during Colt's poor attitude days) or a new release S-70 which will run around $900 and may/may not need work immediately (mine did). The cheapest you can get into a decent 1911 is the Springfield WWII for under $400. They seem to be strong guns, and if you just wanted something to build on, may be OK.

·
Premium Member
6,656 Posts
I have done the "KIT" thing. Dan Wesson sells a good 1911 in kit form.

It is not the top of the line, but what you get when you are finished is a nice reliable and accurate pistol.

The leartning experiance was, in itself, worth the price.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts