1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I have not done any reloading in 30 years. I reloaded a LOT before life got in the way.
i recently got all my equipment back from my brother and plan to get started. Due to the generosity of one of the members on this site, I will soon have some 45ACP brass to get started. I mainly reload 45 ACP, 357 and 44 magnum, and 5.56. I have been shopping at the 2 local sporting goods retailers, and planned to buy some powder and additional primers. The shelves at both stores were empty. I searched online, and am finding the same situation. I asked the sales people at the local stores where all the reloading supplies were, and their response was they were getting in some supplies, but they are sold as soon as they hit the shelves. What I cannot understand is why these supplies are in such short supply? Anyone have any ideas? I understand COVID hurt a lot of manufacturing, but I have been back at work full time for months. Are the manufacturing plants not doing the same thing? I am also looking for an RCBS shell holder (or equivalent) and even RCBS says it is out of stock. I found a few on Ebay at a 500% markup, but don’t feel right about getting shafted. Where is everyone getting their supplies? Thanks! Danny

·
Registered
261 Posts
As a few youtube videos from the ammo makers have pointed out, the loaded ammo lines have priority on any components. They're all running flat out and still can't meet demand. The five million plus new gun owners are a huge part of it when you figure that each will want at least one box of ammo for their new gun.

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
For the RCBS shell holders, go to their website and find the shell holder you want, then click on the "notify me when in stock" - I've gotten 3 in the past 6 weeks or so that way. I also got a Dillon 550c thru Dillon (called and ordered on the phone), and it was here 3 weeks later. Every manufacturer is overwhelmed with spotty supply chain and over-demand.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
Ok guys, I have not done any reloading in 30 years. I reloaded a LOT before life got in the way.
i recently got all my equipment back from my brother and plan to get started. Due to the generosity of one of the members on this site, I will soon have some 45ACP brass to get started. I mainly reload 45 ACP, 357 and 44 magnum, and 5.56. I have been shopping at the 2 local sporting goods retailers, and planned to buy some powder and additional primers. The shelves at both stores were empty. I searched online, and am finding the same situation. I asked the sales people at the local stores where all the reloading supplies were, and their response was they were getting in some supplies, but they are sold as soon as they hit the shelves. What I cannot understand is why these supplies are in such short supply? Anyone have any ideas? I understand COVID hurt a lot of manufacturing, but I have been back at work full time for months. Are the manufacturing plants not doing the same thing? I am also looking for an RCBS shell holder (or equivalent) and even RCBS says it is out of stock. I found a few on Ebay at a 500% markup, but don’t feel right about getting shafted. Where is everyone getting their supplies? Thanks! Danny
Estimates from the mid-90s were that the substantial majority of center-fire ammunition used in the U.S.A. was loaded at home, from 75 - 80% of all center-fire. Most shooters bought commercial, but the high volume shooters ( except me ) -; loaded for reduced costs. So that’s a sizeable base of buyers anticipating coming shortages in products with long shelf-life. But a huge drive is the high demand and price for commercial ammo: manufacurers would be cutting their own throats to allow any components out if there was a way to use those components to load ammunition. The loaded ammo includes labor for the manufacturers’ employees. During the last drought the C.E.O. of CCI told me he was running three shifts ... now he’d be running five shifts if there was a way to do it. For the most part, they’ll all make as much ammunition as possible, not limit that by selling components that they could use to load. There’ll be exceptions to preserve good will; but not much I‘d guess.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
What I cannot understand is why these supplies are in such short supply? Anyone have any ideas?
Are you serious? Where have you been for the past year? BLM/Antifa riots, people wanting guns and demand for ammo skyrocketing... ring any bells? :unsure:

As for components - you'd better have deep pockets, be prepared to sign up for notifications, start trading, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,148 Posts
Panic buyers and gougers are buying it all up.
Baloney. Don't blame it on people buying it to use it. Blame it on the politicians for starters, as they are the root cause of the panic. Then blame it on the stores for not implementing some sort of sales control on how much any one person can buy. They won't lose a dime on anything, but they can sure help regulate the panic buying.

In any case, I don't have a hell of a lot of sympathy for anybody complaining about not finding anything to buy now. Anybody with a body temp above room temperature should be aware of the political situation, and if you haven't taken appropriate acction to mitigate that, whose fault is that? Then, there's the crowd who can't seem to figure out that when you add 10 million new shooters to the rolls there's going to be a shortage of ammo no matter what the politics are. If you've got a stash of loaded ammo, sit on it and stop shooting until the situation moderates. Same goes for a bunch of components. If things get worse, and they are likely to do that over the near term at least, you'll be glad you did.

In the mean time, keep a weather eye out for grabbing it when you can. Just don't pay the gougers prices. Often those people are the ones who will end up getting hurt because they aren't shooters, they're speculators. My shooting skills haven't diminished much if any over the last couple of years, certainly not enough to warrant running myself completely dry in the face of such shortages. Use some common sense, people.

Reactions: Nitro.45

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
I just read a good article about this in the latest issue of the American Rifleman.
This one?

Title seems to match the topic. Just about to read it ...
[ ed. some hopeful information in the article linked above. From some of what's in it, it may be out-of-date by now: written mid-Dec '20. OtoH, the hopeful signs mentioned may just take time to effect the market. ]

·
Registered
57 Posts
The five million plus new gun owners are a huge part of it .....
The last I read the first time, new buyer paper work estimates for 2020 were North of 9 million. And I'm sure some of these people bought more than one box. That alone is big jump in sales and demand. Now throw in it being an election year with potential for the worst anti gun government in history then throw the riots, that caused even long time gun owners to want to stock up, so demand climbed to an all time high. I think the popularity of all shooting competitions being on the rise made many want more practice ammo too.

When the ammo shelves started to run dry it started a another run on reloading supplies ... again for long time loaders and many who had never tried it before ... it makes sense. Add in everybody trying to stay home with lots of time to kill the reloading bench called many of us back. I know I loaded more ammo in 2020 than I did in the last three or four years combined. And I still have lots of components on hand to last me awhile.

Yes we can blame some of the shortages on the carpetbaggers and hoarders looking make profits. We've seen this happen before after major storm events with everything from toilet paper to bottled water ... so it's not surprising it would happen with ammo and reloading supplies. But really I think it's been a perfect storm of many causes and effects that have lead us here. I do feel bad for those who didn't see this coming ... also glad I'm not one of them. ... 😽

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
That’s the difficult part to understand. As others have mentioned, a kid in the third grade even knows what’s going on......as they learn from home......with stupid parents.
If that were really the case no one would ever get caught short... most new shooters can't fathom the reality of this market until they witness it.

·
Premium Member
7,142 Posts
This. New shooters used to be "them". Those who believed the MSM talking points that guns were pervasive and evil and easy to buy on any street corner.
Just so. And now some/many/most of those millions of 'them' are starting in on becoming 'us'.

For my part, I welcome them ... a big reason why I like teaching beginners: to see them welcomed to the community, enjoy that 1st experience ... welcomed despite having been born not knowing how to shoot.

·
Super Moderator
15,829 Posts
Just so. And now some/many/most of those millions of 'them' are starting in on becoming 'us'.

For my part, I welcome them ... a big reason why I like teaching beginners: to see them welcomed to the community, enjoy that 1st experience ... welcomed despite having been born not knowing how to shoot.
I'm in complete agreement in this, and it's why I try to spend time as an instructor/mentor when I see someone new to the shooting sports; they become one of us as their knowledge and confidence grows - at least most of them I've met.

·
Premium Member
5,898 Posts
Starting to gather the required components for reloading is going to be tough. Don't expect it to be easy, just don't think it's impossible. Bullets are hard to come by, but they often pop up, just be ready to grab the ring when it passes by. Powder can be found if you search. Primers are the real unicorns. If a hard task is something you don't like, choose another hobby. If you are persistent, detail oriented, and are willing to spend the time, you can do it.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
6,148 Posts
If that were really the case no one would ever get caught short... most new shooters can't fathom the reality of this market until they witness it.
There are a lot of gun forums and web pages that have embargoed discussion of politics to the point that a lot of people have no idea what's going on. They believe all kinds of garbage being put out by the media and the anti-gun zealots. I can't believe some of the stuff people are posting on blogs, Facebook, and forum sights. Its almost like they've taken leave of their common sense.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts