1911Forum banner

Stash gun? pistol for long term storage

11K views 59 replies 37 participants last post by  Vegasgunhand 
#1 ·
totally hypothetical situation. Let's say I have my carry and HD gear squared away. And I was trying to keep pretty consistent in my gear so I don't have a ton of stuff across a ton of platforms, I'm shooting M&P shields, 2.0 9mms, and 1911s in 45, and I have piles of accessories, holsters, ammo, etc. I am interested in expanding my levels of general preparation, and I am thinking about keeping a pistol in a secure off site location. Not so much for zombies, but like an "oh **** my house burned down" situation. I'm thinking about some cash, maybe PMs, extra car keys, **** like that.

curious what the general consensus on a pistol for longer term storage. The storage location I have in mind is like 3" x 5" x 24", so a bigger handgun would have to be taken apart I think. I would be willing to vacuum seal stuff and keep it oiled. I wouldn't have constant access to it but it's climate controlled.

My thoughts on what to use, as I don't currently have any "extra" stuff in the safe I could use besides a Les Baer. Willing to spend $400ish bucks but obviously the cheaper the better, as I'm pretty sure I will never need it and my kids will find it when I die.

38 special or similar. small and cheap, but weird caliber
Glock 23. can get a police trade in cheap right now, but it would take an 80% frame and conversion barrel before I liked it.
M&P shield or 2.0. already have one of each but I missed the sales and the prices are back up.
budget 1911. don't have one but may be able to find my way to get one.

other suggestions? don't think a long gun will work in any capacity.

See less See more
#39 ·
Unless it's zero humidity the water in the air will cause corrosion on everything.
But, if you keep it in such a place like you say, put it in plastic jug with wide mouth lid, drop item in, fill with WD40, put lid on.

#41 ·
I would look for a used M&P for the same reasons as others have stated. It would need very little prep for long term storage. A major amount of the pistol that's not polymer is stainless steel. Sights, Complete Chassis/slide rails, Sear housing block,Guide rod, Slide, and barrel. There may be other parts, but these I know are. We used M&P's as our duty guns and were subject to the humidity (Florida) and rain exposure for months at a time with almost no maintenance. I never saw one come training time that had any rust on it anywhere.

#42 ·
Months?
It's in the DP sub forum and the Q was "long term storage". I was thinking years. But, stainless is not a bad choice, but, if one was to keep the item in say WD40 or oil then it doesnt matter what metals. Wood grips should be removed, etc.

#45 ·
A Glock in 9mm or a 686 would fit the bill.

Out a coat of Renaissance Wax on it, and put a small tube of gun oil and 50-100 rounds with it. Holster and some speed loaders or spare mags depending on the gun, and you should be good to go.

#46 ·
Something tells me I ought to take a metal detector with me each time I go hiking in the woods from now on. Never know what I might find. ;)

#47 ·
I figure your only joking but, I don't think I'm the only one who has anti tampering measure's In place on all my stashes. put It this way If you happen across a plastic wrapped entrenching tool about a foot underground STOP and walk away. Just putting that out there.

#51 ·
I'm just trying to understand your scenario. Is the offsite climate controlled storage, too far away to periodically check on the firearm, and perform any maintenance? If not, then why not just check on the firearm periodically? If it is too far away to do that, how is it less inconvenient than just going to a gun store, and picking something up? The money you'd be spending to store it could be used for an emergency gun fund. It just seems like there's details missing, that would help others understand the situation.

#53 ·
it is close enough to check up on, but that's not always how I'll want to spend my time. Looking to mostly ignore it, but still have it in a pinch. that's pretty much my whole DP/prepper mentality. not the biggest part of my life, but just prep work in the background.

#56 ·
Vacuum packed in what, a plastic bag? Plastics allow air and water to pass through over time. Or is it perhaps a glass case using silicone gaskets.

If i were to do something like that it would be evacuating the air and then filling with argon to get net pressure of zero.

#59 ·
If you store your weapons in a fire proof safe, that should do the job. Off site only beckons the call after one forgets where one puts it. Forgotten many stored items over the years. Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

#60 ·
Back in the 80's I had a friend that was a prepper of sorts. He lived in Tucson, and owned a piece of property in Northern Arizona. He bought several AK-47's when they were $89.95 all day long in gun stores. He also bought several thousand rounds of surplus Com-Block ammunition for them.

He then set about locating caches of AK's and ammo around his 40 acre property. He found some sort of large military surplus ammo cans, in which a certain amount of these under folder AK's, magazines, and ammo would fit. He then coated the outside of the cans in roofing tar, and then let them sit. Once the tar had cooled and solidified, he placed the rifle and accessories in the cans. He had covered the rifles and magazines in a heavy oil, and wrapped them in butcher paper. The ammunition he placed in a plastic container inside the cans with the rifles. He then buried these cans in locations around his property.

He has since retired, and moved full time to his Northern Arizona property. Last year he was building a large shop, so he had to dig up one of the boxes. He said he opened up the box, and the rifle, magazines, and ammo were still serviceable. He cleaned the rifle and magazines, and then proceeded to shoot all the ammo without a single failure to fire.

Not bad for a weapon and ammo that have been buried in the ground for 36 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.