1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a way to end the static electricity powder cling on your plastic powder tube? When I change powders on my Dillon 550b there is always powder left clinging to the inside. I'm wondering if rubbing the insides with an unused cling free sheet from my wife's laundry would work. How do you handle this problem?
liontech

·
Registered
15,320 Posts
FURNITURE FROM CASES OF WAP

I keep my shop over 60% humidity; forget sticky powder granules, primers WILL explode.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Yes:

1) Ground your press.
2) Remove the plastic powder container tube from your powder measure assembly. Wash it thoroughly, then dip it a very soapy solution of dish detergent. Remove the powder measure from the soapy water and allow it to air dry. The remaining detergent film is slightly conductive and will prevent the buildup of static charge on the powder measure.
3) Cut a dryer sheet into strips about 1" wide and place the edge under the powder measure cap with the other end touching the powder.

These three steps completely eliminated a problem I had with powder sticking to my 1050's powder funnel.

I think I initially read about the solution on Brian Enos' forum but it was confirmed by Dillon's tech support. What pissed me off about Dillon was the guy acted like everybody new about it since it's apparently something commonly done in AZ due to the low humidity. I had all kinds of trouble for two winters and despite repeated calls to Dillon, it was never mentioned until I brought it up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts