1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is using steel cased ammo in Colts? Will it tend to break the extractor/ejector if used? How much is detrimental? I have read that there are competitions in which steel cased ammo is used specifically. I am fairly new to 1911s...I currently carry Glock (please,I am trying to reform!!) Would appreciate any input. Thanks

·
Registered
946 Posts
Buy a bunch of it and shoot it; if and when you have any real trouble from it let us know.... Pretty much all I've ever seen is a lot of Internet hype without any real substance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've never had an issue with Tula ammo by the case load in any of the Colt's I've used it in. That would be a S70 SS, Gold Cup Trophy SS, or Combat Commander.

Buy some and check it out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. As a matter of fact, I just bought some TUL at Wallyworld! That is what prompted this post.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I shoot it in my Colts.

It seems to work very well.

I heard that some of the cheaper pistols couldn't handle it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Before the ammo hype I bought a couple cases of Tula in .45 and one of wolf in 9mm for my stable of colts and everything has worked just fine. I think steel gets a lotta bad hype because its hard to reload and sometimes has a weird finish on it that can make tolerances tight. But with Tula and wolf you should be just fine. They seem to be pretty decent as far as practice ammo goes, see photos below!

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
How hard is using steel cased ammo in Colts? Will it tend to break the extractor/ejector if used?
Internet (gun store?) folklore.

Buy it and shoot it -- you won't hurt your Colt.

Heck, I reload Tula and shoot it through mine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I recently ran 150 rounds of Tula though my LWT CDR with no issues. I've used it in my GM's as well. I've put a couple of thousand rounds of steel cased 9mm through my Glock.
I'll continute to use it.

I have noticed that it's cleaner than WWB, go figure.

*Hacker15e, love those "Silver Bullets".

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Heard its hard on a chamber! I only use it in my AK!

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
What I have run into is a couple indoor ranges will not let you use it. It is the steel in the bullet. Yes I was thinking "huh?". I pulled a Tula round apart with a bullet puller and I could pick the bullet up with a magnet... O.K. I was told it tears up their backstops.

This does want one to do a comparison on ballistic gel or wet phonebooks or something.

On outdoor ranges I still use it and do not worry about beating up a 1911. Some people reload the steel cases. I have enough brass to probably last me through the end of my life so have not tried reloading the steel cases.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
I've shot Wolf practice fodder and it has never caused me problems. Wolf was super cheap a few years ago so I was able to shoot off two 500-round cases at each range session (twice a month).

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Internet (gun store?) folklore.

Buy it and shoot it -- you won't hurt your Colt.

Heck, I reload Tula and shoot it through mine.

I've seen a few people say that now and I've been wondering what the process is? They say it's not reloadable so are ere a lot of differences?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Heard its hard on a chamber! ...
That could be true if the case was a harder steel than the barrel. However, the steel used in ammo is a soft steel that allows performance specs to be closer to brass cased ammo.

So don't believe everything you hear.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Indoor ranges around here dont like it because they generally recycle the brass and sell it to the local reloading company for range ammo. Steel cases foul up the works on a lot of the hi volume loading machines. Same with the aluminum blazer. The blazer is just not reloadable. God forbid they should spend the extra time picking out the non brass cases. Outdoor ranges around here don't care. I have shot it without issue in my colts. Frequently this year tula and wolf has been the only thing available to me at Wally
Mart

·
Registered
318 Posts
I've seen a few people say that now and I've been wondering what the process is? They say it's not reloadable so are ere a lot of differences?
The process is exactly the same as reloading any brass case. Really.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The process is exactly the same as reloading any brass case. Really.
I agree,
I have accidentally reloaded blazer aluminum casings and Tula/wolf steel casings.
I don't make a habit of it but the few I have accidentally reloaded fired off just fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts