1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Administrator
78,171 Posts
No difference.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
No problem, you would have to fire tens of thousands of steel case rounds through it before the extractor might wear out. If even then. Years ago the Chinese liked using a lacquer coating on the steel cases. With a hot barrel and chamber the lacquer would get soft and melt with some of it sticking inside the chamber. Fortunately we don't have too much of that ammo floating around for sale anymore.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem, you would have to fire tens of thousands of steel case rounds through it before the extractor might wear out. If even then. Years ago the Chinese liked using a lacquer coating on the steel cases. With a hot barrel and chamber the lacquer would get soft and melt with some of it sticking inside the chamber. Fortunately we don't have too much of that ammo floating around for sale anymore.
I think some of the Russian ammo is lacquer. I only noticed that on 9mm, however. Bernaul brand.

·
Premium Member
12,176 Posts
I think some of the Russian ammo is lacquer. I only noticed that on 9mm, however. Bernaul brand.
It is…..and I’m not running that crap through my guns.
Steel and lacquer belong in rattletrap cheap SKS and AK’s.
I don’t feed my Jack Russel’s cheap dog food either…..for the same reason….I care about them.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is…..and I’m not running that crap through my guns.
Steel and lacquer belong in rattletrap cheap SKS and AK’s.
I don’t feed my Jack Russel’s cheap dog food either…..for the same reason….I care about them.
If it makes very little or no difference like the fellas above say, I'd run it if it costs substantially less.

The cheap dog food isn't a good analogy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Had a guy give me 500rds of steel case 45acp. Got bored one day and decided to pull the bullets and carefully knock out the primers and put everything in brass cases with some CFE Pistol powder, they set pretty good, lol.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would buy Chinese ammo at the right price. It's a bummer we cannot at this point. Some of the deals I heard of in past times make me cringe.

·
Premium Member
12,176 Posts
the snobs are out and cant stand the fact there million dollar 1911s wont fire steel case ammo.
Revisit Big Pete in post #14
It’s not snobbery to understand it makes the most sense to reload your own, in which case, steel and aluminum is crap. Even if you don’t, steel is still crap. It just doesn't work the same. Like anything else, it’s cheaper for a reason…they’re not exactly putting premium projectiles in there either.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have had some cheap steel case run all day.
Another brand sticks one every 15 or 20 rounds. I would never carry it for SD. At the range I am fine with some cheap steel or when I just want to dump a lot of rounds at my pasture range.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts