1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know how well a 9mm works for steel shooting. Thinking of getting into steel shooting with a Glock 17L and a red dot scope. (Iknow a glock dont flame me I have plenty other 1911s)

·
Registered
103 Posts
The range in Kaysville Utah has hosted steel speed matchs durring the summer months. I've shot them with a .45 and 38 super. Many used a 9mm with out any trouble. Steel plates, and poppers fell victim to the 9mm. The 17L w/ dot will be a fast weapon for wacking down steel. I do wish I had a light weight 9mm open gun for steel shooting in a 1911.

Optics help you really push thee gas pedal, and to really push your upper limits. I've shot a lot of rounds thru an optical sighted 38 super, and I think that it has greatly increased my ability to preform with a limited type pistol.

Shooting steel is a hoot, almost as much fun as pin shooting.

Good day

Brad
SLC, Utah

·
Registered
263 Posts
with 9mm loaded to a 130-135 Power factor there should be no problem, an the G17 will give some extra UMPH. if you find your having problems, load long and hot, you can get up to about 155 PF from a 9mm safely if loaded right. may need some extra recoil springs though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I started shooting bowling pins years ago I used a Glock 17L. For one season the tables were only 2 feet front to back, and the pins were set back 6 inches from the front edge. I shot 140 power factor loads, and would do well against the 38 super and .45 1911 guys. At this time I didn't feel handicaped at all. Then came the return of the 4 foot tables, and I sold the 17L (now I wished I hadn't) for a 38 super so I could load a 172 SWC for pin shooting. The 9mm wasn't up to the task.

I like my glock handguns I now have, and usually carry a Glock. But when it comes to IPSC, bowling pins, or speed shooting I always use a 1911, it's what I shoot 90%+ of all the pistol ammo I put down range. I shoot the matchs to push my abilities, by inviting stress ,and don't mind trying my best to win, and I do my best with a 1911. Shortly I'll have a 1911 finished for a carry weapon.

If I wanted to shoot steel with a 17L w/ dot, and praticed with it, and left my 1911's alone for a month or 2 to grove with the grip angle and trigger, I don't think the 17L would handicap me much. I do think I would preform a little faster with a comped and dotted 38 super ( my 17L was not comped, so maybe a little apples to oranges comparsion). I would sure miss the 1911's trigger, I think this is what seperates the 1911 from all others. One big plus is the 17L is 9mm and is cheap to load for. It didn't save me any money though, I just shot more.

Last weeks pin shoot was with .22's, it was a good break from the big bore's and a lot of fun for everybody. I really didn't clean house, I did win, but was battered by many good shooters, and I was using a gamey gun, I used a dot.

Good day

Brad

[This message has been edited by Bradl45 (edited 02-19-2001).]

·
Registered
685 Posts
Just to toss this out, I shot steel for the first time last weekend at the Collin County Benefit shoot and it was a HOOT! To me, it seemed so honest: you shoot and hit or miss, period. I even managed to beat some guys!

I'm really looking forward to trying that again.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Handgunner, does 9x21 make major in ipsc. I will have to try steel shooting soon seems like alot of fun. Also do you think the 17 frame will hold up to the higher pressure or should you have a 22 frame with the extra pin. thanks for your input guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts