1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At Saturday's gun show I was shown an Ithaca 1911A1 GI in all respects except that the receiver was blank. No SN, no US Property, no inspector's mark, no nothing. Almost nothing, there was a row of tiny letters stamped along and partly under the front edge of the right grip panel. They appeared to have been stamped through the parkerizing like an importer's mark but the letters spell nothing. The owner bought the gun from a dealer who signed it in and out with that letter sequence as the serial number, so he has a legal paper trail on it. But what has he got? He thinks he has a sterile gun made up for special ops. I and FLG think he has a lunchbox special. But then what are the letters? Ideas on the Forum?

·
Administrator
74,421 Posts
"Special Ops"???
ROTFLMAO!!!

Gawd, the stories these dealers tell! That gun is simply another gun built up from reclaimed surplus GI parts and a commercial receiver. However, the lack of a serial number tells me either the number was ground off (a definite legal no-no) or the frame was salvaged from a defective run somewhere (also a no-no to have w/o a serial number). I'd advise the new owner to keep the spare parts but lose the frame, preferably in some deep lake!

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Guys is it possible Colt supplied unserialized recievers to Ithica for production assistance? I am not the military 1911 expert but, I thought they did this during wartime production to slow spooling military contractors.

·
Administrator
74,421 Posts
Springfield Armory did indeed supply surplus WW1 Colt frames to Ithaca during production start-up, but Ithaca serialized them according to the range assigned by Ordnance. The frames were completely stamped with the S/N and US Property marks before being assembled. Only the inspector's stamps and proof marks came afterwards.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 08-28-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts