1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weekend before last, I had the opportunity to take the Steyr AUG carbine course at the CMP range in Talladega, AL. Despite being close to home, this was the first time I have shot there. The course, taught by Brian Marshall and Jake King, was superb and included a lot of fun shooting that isn’t in the description. If you have a chance to shoot at Talladega CMP or take a Steyr Academy course, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the only course I have ever taken. I am 100 percent self-taught until now, so I have no basis for comparison. All I can say is that I learned a lot. But, I had (and still have) much to learn.

·
Registered
24,210 Posts
It is the only course I have ever taken. I am 100 percent self-taught until now, so I have no basis for comparison. All I can say is that I learned a lot. But, I had (and still have) much to learn.
Fair enough, I was just wondering if they had any tips that lend themselves to the AUG rifle in particular. I have been considering the purchase of one of them.?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fair enough, I was just wondering if they had any tips that lend themselves to the AUG rifle in particular. I have been considering the purchase of one of them.?
Yes, the course was specific to the AUG. The history, versions, field stripping, and manual of arms were all covered in detail and distinguished from the AR15. There are some compelling advantages to the AUG due to the bull pup configuration. Perhaps the most surprising thing was how well the trigger works for long distance shooting. A 400 yard shot on a torso sized target was not difficult with a 3 power ACOG.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To more directly address your consideration of a purchase of an AUG, I have AR15s and am more familiar with them than any other rifle platform. I find the ergonomics, including trigger options, of the AR15 to be fantastic for me. I like ARs a lot. A whole lot. The AUG puts a longer barrel into a shorter package, which has its own advantages. Is purchasing one a good choice? I think it is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts