1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after waiting years to get my gun back from the smith I finally got it.

Now I am having mag problems left and right. All my mags are factory STI mags. No tubes or anything like that.
I had grams work over 6 of my mags to see if that would help and it did somewhat. They work better but still not 100%.

The problems i have been having are failure to feed the first round out of the mag when they are loaded to 15 rounds. So I have been downloading to 14 rounds and that helps a lot. But is this normal?

And rounds tend to stick in the mag or nose dive when trying to unload the mags. The load I am using works fine in a buddies STI so I thing the OAL of the rounds if fine.
Would replacing the tubes help? Is there anyone the really knows there stuff when it comes to tuning STI hicap 45acp mags?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Confused newbe.
AKA
NoKarma

·
Registered
877 Posts
I would send the gun WITH THE MAGAZINES back to the smith (or to another smith) and have them sort it out. When you have a gun built or modified, it's always a good idea to send the magazines with it so they can make the gun work with your magazines and not whatever they have lying around the shop.

PS That's the most .45ACP STI magazines I've seen in one place at one time ever! :eek:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
im not sure how much help ill be but ill try. when i got my edge it wouldnt feed at all experiencing the same failures as you gun. as i shot the gun and worked the parts a little i managed to make it feed a few times. at which point i sent it back and was told the gun was too tight and they worked it in, and reccomended a more slick lube. They also replaced the mags and when loaded to 10 (damn post bans) they would occationally experience the same problem you are describing. What i came up with was a 3 fold problem
1) too weak a recoil spring (couldnt force the round off the mag)
2) too strong (aka not broken in) mag spring
3) Drag due to tightness and improperly fitted disconnector slowing mag velocity

btw pretty gun;) hope u get it fixed.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It sounds an awful lot like the mags just don't want to hold fifteen rounds. I have a bunch of Mecgar ten round mags that will BARELY take the tenth round and then can not be inserted into the gun with the slide forward.

Every gun has to depress the top round slightly when the mag locks into the frame on a closed slide. If there is not enough give in the stack space, it crushed the rounds down too tight and usually nose dives the first round.

You might try loading 15 and then inserting into the gun with the slide locked back. Does the round feed OK when you drop the slide?

Another thing I have noticed on some STI guns is they lock the mag in a shade high in the frame and that could also cause the "first round nosedive" syndrome you are seeing. Some people have said changing the mag release fixes it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
1) Make sure the mags you have are in fact .45 tubes. You can find out how to identify a tube's caliber here: http://www.stiguns.com/cart/aboutmags.html.

2) Try to find somebody with an STI 2011 in .45 and try your mags in a gun known to feed reliably and/or try one or several known good mags in your gun.

Looks like your slide is lightened a bit. Are there any more lightening cuts not shown in the picture?

Since the first round is the problem, I doubt it's your recoil spring but what weight are you using?

And just 'cause I'm nosey, who built your gun? My open gun slide is cut pretty much like yours at the rear with serrations at the very end and a panel cut in front. Makes it real easy to rack the slide from the rear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
NoKarma
In my experience with 2011's ( either made on STI or SVI frames) the SVI Mag tubes work the best. Unfortunately the .45 ACP is the hardiest to feed reliably the dimensional variance from Mag tube to Mag tube is rather large. When “tuning” a tube:
a) Square it up at the base, mainly to help the base pad live and be easily removable.
b) Draw file the outside to relieve any high spots, make it as square as possible and ensuring proper insertion and removal in the grip.
c) Tune feed lips.
None of the normal steps will help the fact that 90% of 2011 magazines will only accept a MAXIMUM loaded length of 1.240”. This is why the .45 ACP is the hardiest to feed reliably as the MAXIMUM loaded length for this cartage is 1.260”. If you want to prove this reload or buy some Factory .45 that is shorter 1.235-1.240” (165-184 GR ). The symptom of this to long a length in ammo is a nose down feed problem caused by the bullet dragging on the front of the Mag tube. A Grams 20% XP Mag spring may solve this in an occasional tube as can down loading1 round, both reduce the effort required to lift a 230GR round( lighter bullets help also). If you have not yet numbered the magazines and base pads to match , do so immediately before trying to do any more troubleshooting and start taking notes on what the effects of any troubleshooting are on the individual Mags.
All the Mag feeding problems can be over come with a understanding of what is happening and using the proper cure for each Mag. You will probably end up with 3-4 Mags that will feed 230GR HP factory With Grams 20% XP Mag springs. The rest will be for shorter ammo only. Hope this helps.
out.
2011BLDR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for the help.
It turns out that my loads where set to 1.243 so I will try and shorten them to the range suggested.
My smith has agreed to take a look at the gun and a group of my mags again to sort everything out.
Thanks again and you guys have a great forum here.
NoKarma

1 - 8 of 8 Posts