1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm new to the site, and this is my first post so I hope I"m not covering something that has already been talked about. I own 3 1911's already but I am wanting to build my own from a bare frame and slide. Currently I have a STI lower reciever, and a .38 Super commander slide picked out. I want to use a Bar-Sto bull barrel, and all STI, or Wilson Combat parts. I plan to use this gun as a concealed carry weapon. So does anyone know where the best place to find the frame and slide are? I have looked at Brownells, and found both the frame and slide. I found most all of my parts on Midway's website. Does anyone no anybody that might be cheaper, and even possibly in the North Houston area? Thanks in advance for any help!

:rock: "Locked, Cocked, and Ready to Rock!"
Greg

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
gregthehand said:
Hello I'm new to the site, and this is my first post so I hope I"m not covering something that has already been talked about. I own 3 1911's already but I am wanting to build my own from a bare frame and slide. Currently I have a STI lower reciever, and a .38 Super commander slide picked out. I want to use a Bar-Sto bull barrel, and all STI, or Wilson Combat parts. I plan to use this gun as a concealed carry weapon. So does anyone know where the best place to find the frame and slide are? I have looked at Brownells, and found both the frame and slide. I found most all of my parts on Midway's website. Does anyone no anybody that might be cheaper, and even possibly in the North Houston area? Thanks in advance for any help!

:rock: "Locked, Cocked, and Ready to Rock!"
Greg
I am not sure of what you are asking for but you can get whatever you heart desires STI wise from Chuck Bradley at www.shootersconnection.com. I just bought a 2011 frame from him and his prices were better than any one else's. Chuck is good people too.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info it was just what I was looking for. Now all I need are PARTS!

Greg

·
Registered
516 Posts
Greg,

I am told by others on this site that the bare bones slides and frames from STI need some serious fitting. I think Brazo's gunsmithing wrote a post last year about it. It is NOT a drop in fit in other words. If you don't have the equipment or gunsmithing skills, you might want to check with a smith who has fit a STI and or other make slide to a STI frame... Hope this helps

Brazo's is also a big dealer with STI and can get you any parts needed. NOT sure who might have the best price though. Bob from Brazos is the moderater on this forum as well. Check out his website for parts and quotes

http://www.brazoscustom.com/

Just my 2¢

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I am told by others on this site that the bare bones slides and frames from STI need some serious fitting. I think Brazo's gunsmithing wrote a post last year about it. It is NOT a drop in fit in other words.
Not really. If you were to buy them seperately that is the case as it would be with Caspain. STI sells short blocks in which the frame and slide are factory pre-fit and comes with a fit match barrel or you could buy slide to frame kits that don't come with a fit barrel but the slide and frame are pre fit.

·
Super Moderator
739 Posts
If you buy a slide and frame they are oversized and need to be fit (about 0.004 to 0.005 inch). If you buy a slide to frame fit they are fit at the factory and come out very nice. One thing you need to consider is that the STI frames are all government style and if you fit a commander slide (which has different dimensions than a government slide) to a government frame you will shorten the recoil stroke which can lead to reliability problems sometimes. Not something you want to worry about if it is your first build.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well right now I'm not sure what all I want to do after reading all this. Maybe I'll just build a .38 Super with a 5" barrel. After all I can find pre-fit kits with all that already and I don't have to buy STI, so I will have more options. On I am seriously looking at is Rock River Arms. The only thing I don't like about them is that they come only in chrome molley. If I do go this route I was going teflon coat the slide and frame black. Anyway any ideas who will have a good pre-fit slide and reciever combo. Also I have a Springfield stainless 1911 goverment 45 already. How hard would it be to just get a commander slide in .38 Super get it fitted to my lower frame, and use it until I can get a new lower reciever.

Thanks,
Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts