1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Tactical 5.0 back from Primary Machine, I had them cut it for the Trijicon plate so I could mount my SRO and while it was there I went ahead and had it black nitrated.

I have the DUO system on my DVC-C and honestly I like the Trijicon plate system a little better, it sits about an 1/8” lower in the slide vs the DUO. both guns are using a .370” front sight. With the DUO you may as well just buy the regular version and knock out the rear sight and add a dovetail mount, it sits pretty flush on top of the slide.

Both guns shoot awesome, but it is noticeable.

7ED904DB-4ADB-4E6C-8E6B-0FD931C6FA3A.jpeg

D8939016-6E41-4583-B392-C0413DAE3913.jpeg

D1291DBA-2702-4E46-A5FF-58731FE566D7.jpeg

63FE88D0-5D78-4CB0-BC04-7464E23D7D91.jpeg

·
Registered
137 Posts
Very timely post, thanks. Just removed a Vortex from my STI Costa on a dovetail mount.
Shipped back to Vortex for a warranty claim. Been looking at a SRO and looking at sending the slide out for an optic cut. Primary Machine seems to be the go to for this work.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have any of the talked about issues with the 5 inch and an optic when it gets dirty?
Nope, Just completed a 4 day class using the Tactical, ran approx. 1300 rounds and never cleaned the gun. I did wipe the lens off but it was mostly the desert sand/dust

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Nope, Just completed a 4 day class using the Tactical, ran approx. 1300 rounds and never cleaned the gun. I did wipe the lens off but it was mostly the desert sand/dust
That is great information to know! It is contrary to what STI says, but it’s awesome to know that “real world tests“ show it can possibly work

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hmm. I love five inch guns and have become one of the believers in handgun optics. I would love an optic on my five inch Staccato P. I think I will gamble and have one installed.

I trust the STI guys and their experiences so I am going to do this with my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve been contemplating getting my P5 milled for an optic and have been searching for more info. I’m happy to be reading of your upgrades and am wondering if you guys have had any issues since the last time you posted. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I’ve been contemplating getting my P5 milled for an optic and have been searching for more info. I’m happy to be reading of your upgrades and am wondering if you guys have had any issues since the last time you posted. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated.
I believe STI determined that the 5” slide was not reliable with an optic. One of the reasons they went with the 4.45” barrel/slide. Maybe Buck P will comment on that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s what I’ve been told but this thread brings me some new albeit cautious hope. I love the p5 but would love it even more with an optic. I’m wondering if it would be better to just keep as is and just get one optics ready.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If it was me I’d go with the current Staccato-P DUO. 4.45” barrel and already optic cut.

If you decide to go with an optic cut, nighthawk just officially released that they will be doing their IOS optic cut on customer supplied slides. Second choice would be Primary Machine. I used JL machining recently WWB was not terribly happy with the results.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 5” Tactical ran like a top With the Trijicon plate, zero complaints, but I’ve gotten used to the taller Duo plate and I’ll live with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Being from California I was super lucky to get this one. If I had the option I probably would have gone with the duo. I do love it but know I’d love it even more with an optic. I just don’t want to potentially ruin the reliability of it.

I really like how low that trijicon plate sits. Any idea if nighthawk’s IOS will be as low?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Nighthawk’s IOS cut runs so low you can use standard height sights on it. Aaron Cowan at Sage Dynamics did a 2000 round test on his double stack Nighthawk Firehawk with IOS (basically a Staccato XC with a PT Grip) which included him beating and banging on the gun.

https://youtu.be/3NzBIUPZGbk

Great test and ingenious mount, but it’s a $350 upgrade on a pistol being built, and someone on another forum was quoted $750 to do it on a built gun.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad I stumbled on this post! I have a Staccato P DUO on the way, and this potentially solves both my getting the sight lower and night sights dilemmas. Will this Trijicon plate just fit on the gun as is, or am I going to need to have someone do some modifications?
That Trijicon plate will not fit on a DUO model. This is the plate you need if you want everything lower on a duo model.

http://chpws.com/product/sti-duo-low-profile-rmr-adapter-plate

1 - 18 of 18 Posts