1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, that i've had about a year to cool off.....I spent $2,000+ buying a chromed Eagle from Dawson, I also had custom work done to add a bushing. The plan was to shoot L10 in USPSA and ESP in IDPA. This of course means I have to use the shorter concealed carry mags for IDPA.

I shot 1,000 rounds, and never, not once, did it feed a full 10 round magazine without a failure to feed. (.40) I've tried three kinds of factory ammo, and every reload length and combination possible. I have also tried SVI mags, springs and followers as well. About every fourth round feeds too "nose down" and the round hits the frame instead of the feed ramp.

Does anyone else with an Eagle have a similar problem ???

And before you suggest it, I tried calling Dawson and suffice it to say it still does not work. If I had ever found this forum first and seen all the problems listed within I would have bought a few glocks and a lesson from Sevigney for the same cost.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do you have the recoil master spring system in this pistol? What lube are you using? Were the hand loads in the 1.235 LOA range? This sounds like a short cycle problem I recommend a drastic spring weight change in the order of 13, 14 ,15 LB Wolf Variable power recoil spring on a standard full lingth guide rod to see if this changes things.
Out
2011BLDR

·
Registered
383 Posts
Grams springs and followers and go to the Brian Enos to learn how to tweak the springs.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Good suggestions on the above to try...

also you said ten round mags..are you using the 10 round limited mags??? I have had couple of those and had some troubles..but have had no problems with full capacity mags...also.. one of my open guns..I had to shorten the feed lips of a couple of mags to get and earlier release to feed the round better otherwise it was causing a feed malfunction..after that adjustment..that gun ran fine..

good luck..

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
badata2d said:
Now, that i've had about a year to cool off.....I spent $2,000+ buying a chromed Eagle from Dawson, I also had custom work done to add a bushing. The plan was to shoot L10 in USPSA and ESP in IDPA. This of course means I have to use the shorter concealed carry mags for IDPA.

I shot 1,000 rounds, and never, not once, did it feed a full 10 round magazine without a failure to feed. (.40) I've tried three kinds of factory ammo, and every reload length and combination possible. I have also tried SVI mags, springs and followers as well. About every fourth round feeds too "nose down" and the round hits the frame instead of the feed ramp.

And before you suggest it, I tried calling Dawson and suffice it to say it still does not work. If I had ever found this forum first and seen all the problems listed within I would have bought a few glocks and a lesson from Sevigney for the same cost.
The older STI double stacks needed to be tuned to work properly. the newer magazines and springs seem to have lessened the issues with the tuning, but remember these are primarily race guns with tight tolerances and at best a bastardation of a design. So there are going to be tuning issues. If you look around youll see the issues ive had with mine, now after a few little tweaks it runs almost 100% (gotta break in the new mag springs on two of the 5 mags). wich for a 9mm double stack 1911 is quite good (fails to strip the first round off a fully loaded mag occasionally, but only when the slide stop is used, not when slingshotted). CALL STI....talk to chris...they are VERY good about helping their customers out even well after the fact. (did Dawson custom order it from STI cuz they DO offer a bushinged Eagle, or did dawson make it from scratch?)

getting a POS plastic glock instead of a STI? what are you SMOKING and where can i get some? (YMMV, IMHO, all that bs just so some glockophile who thinks glocks are the greatest fiream ever made doesnt flame me for expressing an opinion)

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My gunsmith had to lower the barrel into the frame to get my Edge to feed reliably. I know of at least 1 other Edge owner with the same problem. The good news that since he worked on it, the Edge runs like a champ.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
also a quick question...are you using the older 10 rounders, or the new I-beam style 10 rounders?

lppd4...what do you mean he lowered the barrel into the frame, a shorter link/etc. or did he machine the frame? did you try and send it back to STI?

·
Registered
364 Posts
badata2d said:

looks like a magazine problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks all for the suggestions. Yes, I am using the newer 10 round mags that fit flush with the mag well. $50 mag and a 3 cent follower. I've been able to improve the reliability with some work on the followers but will send the mags to a friend for tuning. May try a heavier recoil spring though.

What OAL do you recommend for .40 in the STI?? I keep hearing as long as possible, but suspect that may be adding to the issue.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
badata2d said:
thanks all for the suggestions. Yes, I am using the newer 10 round mags that fit flush with the mag well. $50 mag and a 3 cent follower. I've been able to improve the reliability with some work on the followers but will send the mags to a friend for tuning. May try a heavier recoil spring though.

What OAL do you recommend for .40 in the STI?? I keep hearing as long as possible, but suspect that may be adding to the issue.
the newer mags are the I-beam style...the older mags are the ones that externaly look like a double stack but have a dimple accross the mag about half way up?

·
Registered
383 Posts
badata2d said:

I load a 1.22 in my SV with an AET barrel and a 200gr bullet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
DADATA2D
In my experience with .40 2011's ( eather made on STI or SVI frames) the SVI mag tubes with Arredondo followers and wolf 10% over springs work the best. I have 9/140MM (SVI Standard)all work 100% in 2 deferent STI frames. The # of rounds that fit will vary between individua MAG tubes and what base pad you use. The key to 2011 reliability is timing of the gun the big factors in this are:
1. The recoil spring weight has to match the load and the grip of the shooter. Front sight should return to the same point as when the first shot broke given proper stance, balance and grip.
2.The round must be controlled by the feed lips until it is in contact with the feed ramp. In a .40 gun loading to 10MM length is the key ( I load at 1.235 in my .40 guns) in most MAG tubes
loading out to or past 1.240 will cause the rounds to drag inside the tube giving you nose down feed problems also(IME 1.195- 1.235 is the right length). If I understand your post right your
feed ramp is past the frame and in to the area that the MAG should be and the rounds are contacting the bottom edge of the feed ramp? This could also be a indecaton of to long a load.
3. Attempting to change the cycle length of the pistol by any of the following adding buffers to the guide rod, compound spring action in the guide rod and spacers at the back of the MAG tube all adversely effect the timing and cycle length of the pistol.
2011’s are like race cars you have to do the "set up" in order to receive the best performance. This is hard to achieve if your gunsmith is across the country or you are trying to rely on the
factory as they consider it a “ tuner pistol” and not ready to win. I am willing to try to help you sort this out in this forum. If you are uncomfortable trying to accomplish the minor tuning required in this forum then you should attend several USPSA matches and observe the guns that problems are rare in ( most will be honest and admit if the problem was shooter induced)and ask those shooters who their gunsmith is. I have 6 STI’s I shoot all the time and have built or set up 27 others. Every one is 100% mechanically reliable if maintained and fed the proper loads. The
only reason these pistols are chambered in 40 S&W is so the IPSC/USPSA shooters can use the much cheaper brass, it is a 10MM loaded in a .40 S&W case. The guns need minor adjustments to fit the shooting platform (you). Once this is done the pistol is set up for you , some other shooter will not get all the performance out of it. It may be close or it may not even work period. For those willing to put the extra effort in to a 2011 it will reward you in allowing you to reach the highest levels of speed and accuracy

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have felt your pain. I bought a couple of STI factory pistols and had quite a few problems with them. Would I buy another STI, probably not.

One thing I can say is that I bought them from Dawson and he stood by the pistols 100%. In fact, at the 2002 Texas State Open, he fixed my gun as I had a case of hammer follow due to a bad batch of sear springs (he surmised). I was still able to win Unclassified Open division. Needless to say, I was very satisfied with his service, not necessarily the product (STI Competitor).

I have since purchased two of his Practical Advantage pistols (one with a spare 9mm barrel) and have been extremely satisfied. It is my experience that he will go above and beyond to ensure a customer's satisfaction. Call him again and make arrangements to SEND the pistol/mags in and I know that he will make it right. Hope this helps

S. Carruth
A46823

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
STI stands behind their pistols no matter what as well. When mine didnt work they fixed it for free, within one week, and paid shipping both ways.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Have had a problem at times with rounds nose down into feed ramp or inside of mag. I went to a lighter recoil spring for a while until the gun loosened up a bit and lube the gun up a lot. This stopped the problem until about 500-800 rounds when I went back to a 14# spring. Could I have changed back to the 14# earlier maybe but I was lazy and didn't.
Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts