1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently debating whether to go with a single stack frame (probably a Les Baer forged frame) or an STI double stack. My limited experience with Baer pistols has been outstanding so, I am really tempted to go with a Baer forged frame over a Caspian or similar high quality single stack frame.

What I am wondering though, is whether I should go with an STI frame. I shoot a Glock 17 a lot so, while I like the G20/21 models I find the grip to be a little too much for me. The STI seems like it would be better in that regard because it isn't flared at the bottom and is 30LPI checkered versus the smooth plastic of the Austrian wonder gun. I wear a medium sized glove for reference to my hand size.

For concealed carry, I'm thinking an STI defensive pistol would be no harder to conceal then a Glock model 20/21 and would probably outline less since it wouldn't have the square slide. I also want something that I can compete with in IDPA, IPSC, our USPSA matches. I realize a single action custom pistol would put me in the non-production classes but, I would not be shooting for money or bragging rights. Matches would be for skill building only with some match pressure so I could perform in a defensive situation if things should ever go horribly wrong and force me into that situation.

I'm looking for a single action pistol, most likely in a 40S&W caliber, with a 10 round or greater capacity in a normal service size pistol with a weight in the 35 to 40 ounce range. I actually tried a Browning Hi-Power in 40S&W but, I could not get used to all the slide weight in motion and up high so I'm looking to try a 1911 variant. My preferred caliber is 40S&W but, I'm not opposed to a 45ACP either.

While I have mixed feelings about the STI single stacks, I think their 2011 frames would be in the same quality and durability class as a Les Baer since I see so many of them in competition circles where they get run hard and often. I need a pistol that will last through tens of thousands of rounds because this pistol will not be a safe queen. ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
I carry a lightweight S_I (STI alloy frame and SVI slide) in 38 Super. No problem concealing it.

17 rounds of 38 Super+P in a gun no larger than an officers model with a commander length slide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I built an STI frame up with a Caspian slide and night sights , set the trigger at 3.25lbs and use that as a house gun, sometimes carry. I use 130-140 grain loads from corbon, magtech, or federal . The gun is everything I wanted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts