1911Forum banner

STI, love them or hate them?

• Hate them, makes the traditionalist in me want to cry

Votes: 22 7.4%
  • Ho Hum take them or leave them

Votes: 44 14.7%
  • Love them, you either get it or you don't

Votes: 206 68.9%
  • Who cares about looks, they are Steven Seagal approved!

Votes: 27 9.0%
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, I would like to get a bit of feedback on some 1911s I have no personal experience with, STI.

First off, I put this here to get feedback from more than just the loyal STI fans.

Second, please be respectful. I do not wish for this thread to end up insulting, or starting a shouting match over anyones choice in 1911s.

I understand that STI is huge in competition guns and that form follows function, hence we get the STIs that look like they should be strapped on to Han Solo's thigh while he is drinking in a Mos Eisley Cantinia!

Competition guns not withstanding, I think it is fair to say STI certainly has their own unique style with billboard lettering, fonts, cocking serrations, etc.

What is it about STI that has earned them such a following in competition guns? What do others think about their unique vision of a 1911? Do you love or hate the style of their more standard 1911s?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I don't think I would ever buy one of their guns, but I did rent one and it worked. They just don't "do it" for me. I also didn't like the Beretta M92 either. I don't hate them, they just don't work for me.

hence we get the STIs that look like they should be strapped on to Han Solo's thigh while he is drinking in a Mos Eisley Cantinia!
This gun by chance?

I guess some folks like real guns but some folks like toys as well. :eek:

·
Registered
179 Posts
STI make a quality product and stands behind it. They have such a following in the competition world because their guns run and are durable. In a sport were 25k+ rounds a year is not considered a lot, you need something that will last.

Some require function over form, other prefer form. It depends on what you do with your gun

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mixed signals

You start out by saying you don't want this thread to turn insulting or result in flame wars, etc. But the way you worded the polling questions is anything but neutral and unbiased.

So far, what's been discussed are what STI calls "2011" guns, which are, by and large, hi-capacity race guns. I'm not into that kind of competition, but if I were, STI would be where I'd go, no doubt about it.

As for their "1911" offering of guns, they are excellent in fit, finish and value. I own a TargetMaster and have handled and/or shot a couple other models. They are outstanding. In fact, I would put them up against Brown, Baer or Wilson at twice the price.

And their customer service is top-notch.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This got moved here and it was not my intention, this is obviously STI home turf and for that reason I would not really get a cross section of input.

The poll was designed to have a bit of humor not to insult, if it failed in that then my humor meter needs calibrating, but please do not question my motives.
I do disagree with your conclusion on the polls tone, I think it shows all sides, with one choice thrown in for humor.

As I stated originally, I get the race gun, or 2011 line not being 'traditionalist', that is obvious. However I still think it would be interesting to get a handle on why STI became such an institution in the competition world. Did they set their eyes on conquering this market, or did the market seem to come to them?

I guess my question concerns peoples thoughts on the run of the mill single stack versions. STI has a unique look, large lettering, fonts that are a bit different, and slide serrations that are less than common, as well as blocky lines. Is their vision of the 1911 wrong? No I would not say that, but it is different, I was just wondering how most felt about it. For those who love STI, what was it that sold you?

Edit: I kind of feel bad that this post got moved over here, I DO NOT want to come into you guys 'home' and cause a stink.

·
Premium Member
3,784 Posts
They have a huge following because their product is one of the best-suited for the games it's used in. The ergonomics and accuracy of the 1911 without the limit of a single-column magazine are the reason they dominate competitions.

If you want to confine discussion to STI single stacks and their style, I dislike the billboard rollmarks, the 2 lpi slide serrations, and the squarish, divoted frontstraps. But for every person who hates them, there's probably one that likes them. You can't please everybody, and there's no accounting for taste. The STI guns I've shot and handled have all been quality guns that were accurate and reliable, and their owners loved them... so I suppose that means more than my personal tastes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I like them so much I have two and just sold another gun so I can get a third. All my Gov. models are now STI. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder but fit and function are a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you want to buy a gun with a deep blue finish and beautiful flawless lines, and take it out of the safe to show your friends to "ooh & aaaha" over, then go somewhere else to buy a gun.

If you want a gun that is going to be shot, then look at STI's line. It's as simple as that.

I was in the market for a 1911 to shoot steel matches with. A "game gun" if you will. I picked the 9mm round because of the fast recoil recovery and the lower cost of factory ammo. My Trojan is not an heirloom quality firearm. The large rollmark is ugly, the cocking serrations are not sexy looking. And the blued finish is starting to wear through from holster use.

But-
The gun is the most accurate 1911 I've owned to date.
The gun is the most comfortable handling 1911 I've owned.
I shoot this gun faster and more accurately than any gun I've ever owned.
STI's customer service has been outstanding.

This is a firearm that is purpose built- to be shot, and the design is tailored to a person who shoots it alot.

When I bought the Trojan my expectation was that it went bang at the matches and that was it. Kind of an ugly duckling that would be brought out to shoot steel plates and that was all.
I'm so impressed by this gun it's my favorite firearm. If I had only one gun to keep, this would be it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Like others have said, STI has such a huge following because the guns just plain run. They are well built, durable, reliable, and straight accurate. There is beauty in function, not just form. But then again, the form of STIs guns has grown on me after seeing them in person and owning one. Their webpage photos do not do the guns justice.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I don't much care about the looks, but I am hungry for an STI .40 Limited gun for USPSA fun. I have put the credit card back in my wallet several times, but I have faith that the day is coming when desire cleanly outstrips good sense.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hmm, a poll in the STI forum, asking if STIs are liked. Gee, I wonder what the results will be!:biglaugh:

Yes, my Ed Brown is more elegant, and the Baer, Wilson, Colt, Gold Cup, Smiths, Glocks, Sigs and Kimbers have never let me down, but, most of the time, I'll grab one of my 9 STIs. Enough said!:rock:

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Hmm, a poll in the STI forum, asking if STIs are liked. Gee, I wonder what the results will be!:biglaugh:

Yeah, as soon as it got moved from General Discussion to here I knew the poll results would be, shall we say....less than unbiased. :biglaugh:

There have been some good responses to why people like STI.

My gut feeling is that part of the reason STI is so popular in the competition world is that they made an effort to win that market. A willingness to listen to, be innovative for, and produce what competitors want.

I would think that would also win fans for their more 'standard' single stack guns. Just like NASCAR, "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday".

Maybe success has a beauty all its own.

·
Registered
124 Posts
STI's single stack models are good, but good 1911s aren't exactly unheard of (SA and DW come to mind, given the prices). It seems that the discussion is about the hi-cap models and frames. In my admittedly limited experience, STI's double stack 1911s are the best I've handled, though I don't have much experience shooting most of them. Some don't like the plastic, but it allows for a lighter, narrower gun than one gets with a wider version of a standard steel frame, which makes it more comfortable to carry and shoot. Considering that the other options for polymer hi-cap .45 ACP pistols are not 1911s, and that hi-cap 1911s are a bit weighty and bulky in the grip, this is the best compromise available. Given the choice between, let's say, a Springfield XD, Glock 21, Para P14, and STI Eagle, I'll take the STI. But that's me. Some people disagree, and that's fine too. After all, nobody has to get one. And even if I never get one for myself, I, for one, am glad I have the option to do so if I so choose.

·
Premium Member
5,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
You are right, I think many of the responses are alluding back on the double stack comp. stuff.

As I said from the very start, I get those, form follows function.

It is the single stack 'traditional' stuff my questions and poll were for.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
I don't care for the billboards, but it wasn't much of an issue for me. Quality product at the pricepoint.......Best bang for the buck imho:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just purchased a 40SW Trojan for USPSA single stack. This gun is just as tight as any Les Baer I have handled. The fit is amazing.

My only other STI I have is an Edge that I shot the hell out of for 2 years and it is still tight and accurate. I can shoot a No BS 2 inch group off hand at 25 yards slow fire.

STI supports the USPSA Sport, offer Contingency Rewards, and provides top notch customer service when they make mistakes. What else can you ask for?

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
STI has some custom options now, so you may be able to alter the "looks" somewhat...not sure.

They have a fair amount of single-stacks available now, but I would also like to see some more "traditional" models or options available also.

The Trojan with a round top slide, non-ramped barrel in 45, checkering or no checkering, no FS, traditional rear serrations, smaller logos, or none if wanted.

The Ranger with 4.25" bbl, bushing-non-ramped barrel. Steel and aluminum frame.

Sounds like "custom" to me. :)

STI seems like a well-run, good company so i'm not "knocking" them by means.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts