1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some feedback about the LS 9mm as a carry piece. I've looked at it, but not fired it. Any experiences in shooting, maintaining this model? How is STI to work with when there are problems?
Thanks,
GJ

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I have an LS40 - well, two. My wife 'aquired' my first one so I bought a second. Maintenance is the same as an 1911 - shoot it, clean it, lube it. STI is outstanding as far as customer service goes which is not to say they never make stuff that doesn't have a problem, it's that they're good about taking care of it if they do.

My LS is a much easier carry that other small guns I've had. While it's not hugely thinner than something like the Kimber compacts, it feels a lot smaller than the difference would indicate. The LS is a self defence firearm and isn't really suited for recreation or competition shooting. They have a small backstrap which isn't much surface area to distribute recoil into your hand. In the .40 anyway, with full power ammo, isn't the sort of gun you're going to want to go out and blow through 200 rounds. That said, it's much more pleasant to shoot than a Kimber MK40 or the little Glocks. It also has 1911 style controls so if you spend a lot of time on full size 1911s, you don't feel like you're shooting a completely different carry gun.

The 9mms have a rep for being more ammo friendly than the 40s. I'd probably go with the 9mm if I were buying it again.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A friend at STI told me the LS is one of the least popular models they sell. Reliability is hit or miss, so you may or may not get a good one. If they come problem prone, they will most likely remain so. Also, the slide doesn't lock back on the last round if that's an issue with you.
I own several STI's but not that one, so I'm not speaking from firat hand experience. Personally, If I were looking for a PD gun, I'd go with something with a better track record of reliability. If you have a good one, good for you.. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for these responses. They are interesting, but leave me where I started. I don't like the lightweight handuns because of recoil and recovery. I have a beauty mil-spec compact in .45, but it's too big for me to carry. I have used a Beretta 9000 but I am worried about its reliability, hence the interest in STI's LS. I understand that the LS is STI's carry piece. Good to hear that this company is good on service, though. I suppose I will keep asking around.
GJ

·
Registered
65 Posts
That particular model looks a little funny to me.It is a sti it should be reliable and for what you pay for it it better be.
You have a springer and that is too big for you.Go and get the emp instead of the ls and see if that works for you

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have one that I couldn't get a mag through with a jam. I sent it back to STI and they fixed it - sort of. It jammed a lot less but I was able to determine the source of the jams were from the main spring. The one the had was too weak or cut to short. Once I changed it, it was jam free but I've only put another 100 rounds through it and I wouldn't call that a real test.

STI would only pay for 1 way shipping but they gave me an extra magazine.

It's a very small gun but it has a steel frame so it weighs more than my alum frame officers 45. I don't think the recoil is too bad. I got it for my wife but she let her CCW expire so it just sits in the safe for now.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I need some feedback about the LS 9mm as a carry piece. I've looked at it, but not fired it. Any experiences in shooting, maintaining this model? How is STI to work with when there are problems?
Thanks,
GJ
I would call Dawson, Thunder Mountain, and Brazos and ask them if they have had problems with any of them. These are pretty decent folks who move alot of STI's and who knows, maybe they could give you some feedback.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts