1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the StI LS40 reliable out of the box , enough for carry, or does it have the inherit problems that other 1911's do with the S&W .40 ?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I shoot a BLS in 9mm...essentially the same exact gun, just with a full size grip, it has been 100% reliable and very accurate out to 25 yards. The only issue was a bad mag that wouldnt incert (the bottom was too wide for some reason, but STI replaced it no questions asked), and the rear sight wasnt loctited in so the sight got loose, but a allen wrench and some locktite fixed that right up. I vote get it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Whooooa Nelly.... There is a big difference between the BLS/LS-9 and the LS-40. Not from just looking at it.. but in the way it handles the different sized ammo.

My LS-40 was a royal pain. Two different sets of "updated mags" no avail. It went back to the factory. They replaced the frame and a number of parts. Still no workie. I have talked to a number of other LS-40 users and every one of them complained of problems with cycling.

I shoot a lot of different 1911's in calibers from 9mm, 357SIG, 357Mag (Coonan), 38 Super, 40 S&W and 45ACP. I have them in sizes from sub-compact to full sized. But that little LS-40 was the most brutal on my hands as anything I have ever tried to shoot.

Finally, I traded my 40 off for a 9 and never looked back. The 9 has been great.

If you like the idea of the LS series, the 9mm versions are the only way to go.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Bubba said:
Whooooa Nelly.... There is a big difference between the BLS/LS-9 and the LS-40. Not from just looking at it.. but in the way it handles the different sized ammo.

My LS-40 was a royal pain. Two different sets of "updated mags" no avail. It went back to the factory. They replaced the frame and a number of parts. Still no workie. I have talked to a number of other LS-40 users and every one of them complained of problems with cycling.

I shoot a lot of different 1911's in calibers from 9mm, 357SIG, 357Mag (Coonan), 38 Super, 40 S&W and 45ACP. I have them in sizes from sub-compact to full sized. But that little LS-40 was the most brutal on my hands as anything I have ever tried to shoot.

Finally, I traded my 40 off for a 9 and never looked back. The 9 has been great.

If you like the idea of the LS series, the 9mm versions are the only way to go.
youll note that i didnt mention anything about controllability, just inherent accuracy (mechanical rested) and issues ive had with mine. Im well aware of the fact that the two guns will handle differently.

I would however reccomend it in 9mm, cuz ive shot the ls40 (this past weekend) and it was reliable but a bit much...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
But that little LS-40 was the most brutal on my hands as anything I have ever tried to shoot.
Not as bad as the Kahr MK40 that my LS-40 replaced! Hot CorBons or Triton's are a thrill in the LS though. Even with Win or Fed general purpose .40 though, it's not a gun you're going to shoot a bunch of rounds out of just for kicks (no pun intended).

Both my wife and myself have LS-40s for carry. The first gun was a first generation and had some problems but STI solved them and I liked the gun enough to buy a second.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just a thought...

Haycreek,

I have a Ranger, and I absolutely LOVE it. I have shot neither the LS9 nor the LS40, but the Ranger in .45 is very reasonable to shoot, and at the same time quite concealable. It is very controllable, functions flawlessly, and is incredibly accurate. And, it's a .45!

Hope this helps,

BD

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STI

Thanks for the opinions and experiences. I have reliable Colt and Kimber 1911's , thought that the small STI might be a "better" choice, not too sure at this point, but I will still consider the small S&W 40, recoil has hasn't been a problem, but I have avoided short barreled 1911's so far. Thanks ,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Say wot?

I carry an LS 40 as my main CCW. It goes bang every time w/o any feeding problems during shooting.

It punches cute little cloverleaf patterns at self defense distances.

Unlike Glocks, limp wristing or a loose grip doesn't affect an LS other than allowing a pretty high recoil. Grasp one firmly and all is easy.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I have a LS9, which I like a lot.

It turns out that the Pachmayr grips for detonics will fit it perfectly, I cut off the front piece, and find that more secure in my hand than the wood.

Richard

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Hello Haycreek,
As I type this I'm currently in Florida where I have a conceal carry permit and guess what is on my hip? A STI LS-9 loaded with Speer Gold Dots P+ 124gr. JHPs'. I have a STI LS-40 too that I recently purchased, but have not fully broken in yet. Both are great pistols. What I like best about them is they are thinner than a regular 1911 through the slide and their shorter grip make conceal carry even more easy than a Colt LWT Commander which remains one of my all time favoriate pistols. The only bad news is the last time I checked on the STI web site STI had a statement they weren't making them at this time.:( Glad I got both of mine.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Gary1911A1 said:
Hello Haycreek,
As I type this I'm currently in Florida where I have a conceal carry permit and guess what is on my hip? A STI LS-9 loaded with Speer Gold Dots P+ 124gr. JHPs'. I have a STI LS-40 too that I recently purchased, but have not fully broken in yet. Both are great pistols. What I like best about them is they are thinner than a regular 1911 through the slide and their shorter grip make conceal carry even more easy than a Colt LWT Commander which remains one of my all time favoriate pistols. The only bad news is the last time I checked on the STI web site STI had a statement they weren't making them at this time.:( Glad I got both of mine.
they are back to making them...they even have 2 LS 9mm's in stock.:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Holster Recomendations?

Greetings All,

I'm new to the board, and just picked up an LS9. This is a sweet gun! My question to those of you that carry this gem is what holsters have you found that fit it? I was hoping to find a fobus holster for it, but have not had any luck. This is a great board by the way.

acharo1021

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
pay a little more and get a blade tech...they make a couple of holsters for it...from belt to iwb to tuckable

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
acharo1021 said:
NJ

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info!
acharo1021
no problem...i was just there ordering a tuckable for my dads bls, and a belt for my bros p22...so it was on the tip of my toung (they liked the one i got for my Edge, and i used to be a leather only guy)

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Hello acharo1021,
When I was in Florida I carried my LS-9 in an Alessi Talon Holster and it worked very well. I'm back in Ohio now so I can't carry it. I feel "naked" now, it's not a pretty sight and it's to cold too.:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts