1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a gun rag article on the new STI Ranger. It is a compact 6+1 .45 with a blued steel lower and a stainless slide. Anyone seen/shot one? Good/bad/ugly? I have heard that STI has had continuing major problems with their compact 9 & 40 guns, LS & BLS I believe. Have the bugs been worked out for the .45? Thanks.

Regards,
Frank

·
Registered
802 Posts
Frank,

What have you heard on the LS series? I keep looking at the LS9 but never hear any comments from owners - good or bad. Info would be appreciated.

The main thing I don't like in handling them is the very square front strap - otherwise they appear well made. One "feature" on the LS series is the fact that the slide can move with the safety engaged - a negative IMO. Their size continues to intrigue, however.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just don't mention the name "Bubba" up in Georgetown. I am not too popular up there.

I had the LS-40. All kinds of feeding problems with it. STI told me to bring it up to them. I walked in the door and they found all kinds of problems with it; cracked frame, holes off center...it went on and on... The told me they would build me a new one. I got it back (after registering it through NICS
) but it STILL had problems locking back after the last shot. And brother let me tell you, the .40 S&W cartridge in this gun was simply BRUTAL! I have never fired anything that beat me up any worse. My normal practice session is from 200-300 rounds of .45. I could not get more than 50 rounds through this gun without my hand hurting. You could see the web of my hand change color.

So I traded it in on the 9mm version. This one seemed to be a dream come true. It shot well. Was reliable. But then I started having problems getting the safety off. I looked a little closer and the plunger tube was coming unstaked. Sigh. A friend said is was no big deal to re-stake it as he had the tools. That tube bent up like aluminum foil. Was just soft pot metal. Grrrrrr... A genuine Colt part replaced the bad part on the gun. But I wonder how many OTHER soft parts are in there.

STI may build some wonderful IPSC race guns. But I am just not so sure I want to bet my life on this carry gun. Yeah, it goes into my deep concealment rig very well and carries very nicely. But if I am going to trust my life to something, I want it going bang... every single time I pull the trigger. The LS 9 is now a fun little toy I play with. But I will not trust it with my life. That duty goes to my Baers.

So why would I trust the Ranger????

Bubba

[This message has been edited by Bubba (edited 10-22-2000).]

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JSP, I have HEARD (no first-hand knowledge) of the exact same problems Bubba had. I HEARD the 40's were taken off of the market for a while to try to correct the problems. Makes me very hesitant with the Ranger, but if they got their act together, who knows.

Regards,
Frank

·
Registered
802 Posts
Thanks for the info guys...

Glad to hear something - even if it isn't good.
Hopefully they're interested in improving.

You nailed it with the trust factor. It's too bad the quality is poor - the LS9 design would make a great deep concealment piece - in my thinking anyway.

D*mn if I can understand why someone building "self defense" pistols would have substandard parts - especially at the price line.

Maybe I'll call em and tell them "Bubba" said not to buy one

·
Registered
20 Posts
I talked to the people at STI last month about the BLS & LS guns in 40.According to them,the heart of the problems they were having were centered around the quality of available 40 cal. magazines.They told me they would not ship the 40 cal guns until they were satisfied with the magazine.The quality of the magazines they use is fair to low.I tossed my 6" Trojan's mag in the garbage after getting tired of it malfunctioning.You can have a $2500.00 pistol,but if you use a $10.00 magazine,you will have problems!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
The Ranger and the LS are completely different guns. The Ranger is similar to an Officers model in size though I think the grip is slightly shorter. Top end is standard OM but with a bull barrel which eliminates the OM barrel bushing which was a problem source with the OM.

I haven't shot the Ranger but I recently had a chance to look one over and it appeared to be a very high quality gun. Everything fit tight and the finish was very good.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As an ex-LS9 owner, I second Bubba's conclusion. It's a good idea but poorly executed. I went through 3 (s/n 1999, 2016 & 2017)and they all had multiple feed problems. When I had to replace the slide stop on LS9 #3 enough was enough, so I traded it in on a Kimber Pro CDP and have not regretted it one bit.

Frank, I saw the article about STI's new Ranger and shuttered to realize that the blued steel lower looks exactly like their LS9. The thumb safety now locks the slide though. But for me it would be like deja vu all over again.

Sad, because the LS9 is light-weight, accurate, concealable and based on the 1911. Hey, that sounds a lot like the Kimber CDP series. Difference is I can depend on my Kimber.

You pay your money and you take your chances, but for my money I would let somebody else pay for working the bugs out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts