1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tight clean pistol. Arrived from gunbroker.com dealer in a sealed plastic bag and gumed up big time from the cosmo or whatever they pack them in. The slide would not hardly close on it's own when released from a locked back position. After a degrease and light oil it was a very tight and well fitted gun. Love the fiber optic sight. Trip to the range showed consistant hits at all ranges out to 25 yards. Pistol seems exceptionally well balanced and lighter than it really is. Shot 150 rounds of Wolf without any problems. Sights were off but eventually adjusted, easily with the target sights to be right on. Grip safety did not engage, trigger pull was a little heavy for me at 6-8 lbs but a very clean break with slight take up and little or no overtravel. FLGR did not have breakdown hole. Manual that came with it was kind of a mess with typos and unclear info. All parts but the grip safety seemed to fit very well and function well. Magazine was of average to poor quality and the interior of the barrel was a little rough but shot very well. Barrel bushing was extremely tight but no problem with a wrench. Trip to the smith lighted trigger pull and fixed other issues. Still feel an exceptional value for the money, around 6 bills including smith fees and shipping.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Thanks for your open-minded review. It's good to see an honest review that doesn't expect a $600 pistol to match up to a $2000+ custom. You're right,the Spartans are excellent pistols for the money.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Good, honest review. As already mentioned, that is a great thing to read.

It does us well that the 1911 platform is still so popular as it nears it's 100th birthday in a few years that there is a market that allow for basic, reasonably priced guns all the way up to the highest end customs. It also means plenty of parts for repair and customizing at good prices.

Let us know how she does on the next range trip.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Tight clean pistol. Arrived from gunbroker.com dealer in a sealed plastic bag and gumed up big time from the cosmo or whatever they pack them in. The slide would not hardly close on it's own when released from a locked back position. After a degrease and light oil it was a very tight and well fitted gun. Love the fiber optic sight. Trip to the range showed consistant hits at all ranges out to 25 yards. Pistol seems exceptionally well balanced and lighter than it really is. Shot 150 rounds of Wolf without any problems. Sights were off but eventually adjusted, easily with the target sights to be right on. Grip safety did not engage, trigger pull was a little heavy for me at 6-8 lbs but a very clean break with slight take up and little or no overtravel. FLGR did not have breakdown hole. Manual that came with it was kind of a mess with typos and unclear info. All parts but the grip safety seemed to fit very well and function well. Magazine was of average to poor quality and the interior of the barrel was a little rough but shot very well. Barrel bushing was extremely tight but no problem with a wrench. Trip to the smith lighted trigger pull and fixed other issues. Still feel an exceptional value for the money, around 6 bills including smith fees and shipping.
Welcome to the forum.....great place and folks here.

Nice report..........sounds like you got her working, so enjoy that gun.

I just picked up a STI Trojan 9mm (target sights) and it too had the slow mo slide thing going. I stripped her and removed a bunch of grease from the frame and slide, then oiled her up with FP-10 and now, one smooth running slide. The sights were also off a bunch to the left so a few turns on the adjustment screw and she was back on target. Trigger was right at 5+ lbs. on the Trojan, but nice and crisp. Zippo creep. Fit and initial finish were very good but the finish on the STI does seem scratch and/or wear a bit quickly. Slide to frame fit was good and tight, yet she cycled fine after I got the grease off the rails. Mine has the breakdown hole in the FLGR and you do need it as doing it any other way does not seem to fly very well. I was very pleased with the accuracy of the weapon, but expected that as I already own an STI Ranger II 9mm commander that is deadly accurate.

Anyway.....enjoy that Spartan and keep us posted on how it goes.

Any chance of a pic being posted?

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shot USPSA match with it today and 100 rounds yesterday warming up and trying to change my grip to thumb over the safety. Mixed results today some old way and some new way and some a combo of both. Pistol is very accurate with the Wolf. I have ran boxes of S and B, CCI Brass Blazer, UMC and it likes the Wolf the best. Also seems to recoil a little less. Unlike my SA which shoots everything about the same place this STI is much more sensative to ammo. The CCI was flat weird with the first round often going left 6 inches and high 6 inches. (from 15 yards shooting off my coat and a folding table) After the first round in the magizine, which often did not want to load, the remainder of the mag grouped ok. All brands moved around the bull from side to side and up and down. But they all grouped well. I have CM, Wilson, and ED Brown 8 round mags and it seems to like them all. I can't reach the Mag release without moving my hand so think my first change will be an extended release button and or thinner grips. The wood that came on it is fine but maybe just a tish chunky for my hands. I did have the hole drilled in the FLGR and it works slick. The smith had to mod the slide a little on the inside to allow clearance for the paper clip.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Welcome to the forum.....great place and folks here.

Nice report..........sounds like you got her working, so enjoy that gun.

I just picked up a STI Trojan 9mm (target sights) and it too had the slow mo slide thing going. I stripped her and removed a bunch of grease from the frame and slide, then oiled her up with FP-10 and now, one smooth running slide. The sights were also off a bunch to the left so a few turns on the adjustment screw and she was back on target. Trigger was right at 5+ lbs. on the Trojan, but nice and crisp. Zippo creep. Fit and initial finish were very good but the finish on the STI does seem scratch and/or wear a bit quickly. Slide to frame fit was good and tight, yet she cycled fine after I got the grease off the rails. Mine has the breakdown hole in the FLGR and you do need it as doing it any other way does not seem to fly very well. I was very pleased with the accuracy of the weapon, but expected that as I already own an STI Ranger II 9mm commander that is deadly accurate.

Anyway.....enjoy that Spartan and keep us posted on how it goes.

Any chance of a pic being posted?

They make it in 9MM????:confused:

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
They make it in 9MM????:confused:
The Spartan is a new offering from STI (making a name for itself) that comes in .45 only at this point in time.

The STI Trojan (a stock model in their line for awhile now) is available in 9mm, .38 Super, .40, and .45.

The main reason I picked up this Trojan (9mm) was because of the very good results I have had with my first STI, a Ranger II (commander) in 9mm. STI makes some fine guns and I just posted a range report on the new Trojan 9mm.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
What for there Vern?:biglaugh:

Is it somehow going to look a lot different than every other one out there?

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Hmm. I know I am old and senile but I didn't see anywhere where anyone worked on this gun.

But you are so easy, young pup

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Another take on this:

I think part of the appeal of the "personal gun pics" here (brand new, old or modded) is that is makes it just that.........more personal. You can also see things in a way that is slightly different from the web pics.

Check the pics of my Trojan (report recently posted) against those of the Trojan on the STI web sight. The fiber optic on the Trojan is similar to that on the Spartan. Even my pic does not do real justice to just how bright that thing can be.

Also the picture of the front strap work compared against the STI web site's pic.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lpa

Follow-up. About 1000 rounds. This afternoon daughter started shooting a little right with the Spartan. I gave it a try and was really off to the right 4 or 5 shots. Looked down at pistol just in time to see rear sight come apart. The horizontal adjustment screw had popped out and the threads inside the lpa were stripped bare about 1/4 inch. Think my sight is toast. This gun has been a pretty good shooter and very accurate. Gonna need a new rear sight though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Some of the original batch that came into the country had this problem, I had mine come apart like that and so did a buddys. No problem, they will intall a new sight for free.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I am thinking of buying one in 9mm for my son since there are no Loaded Springers around right now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts