1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is an LT at a So Cal agency that is testing the STI Tactical 5.0 for approval as a carry weapon for their officers. Any opinions about this gun as a primary duty weapon?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That's interesting since STI no longer sells to Kalifornia..

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This would be an interesting choice for duty carry. From my point of view (20+ years as an LEO, Senior Range Instructor since 1995) I would not like the extended magwell sticking me in the side all day. I would also be concerned as to how the frame/grip interface would hold up to the day to day abuse that the seatbelt does to any handgun. It may be fine. However, I have no info on this.

Is the choice due to the double stack? I would lean more toward a single stack Lawman with a steel frame.
Yeah, more rounds. They are down at the border, and the cartel's M.O. is to sling a LOT of lead. His Les Baer just doesn't have a big enough gas tank for him to feel comfortable.

The mag well is a concern they are looking at, mostly because of some reports that it doesn't have enough vertical size to accommodate big hands. in other words, not enough grip to keep the pinky off the mag well. But that remains to be seen. They are being sent a sample.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Yeah, more rounds. They are down at the border, and the cartel's M.O. is to sling a LOT of lead. His Les Baer just doesn't have a big enough gas tank for him to feel comfortable.

The mag well is a concern they are looking at, mostly because of some reports that it doesn't have enough vertical size to accommodate big hands. in other words, not enough grip to keep the pinky off the mag well. But that remains to be seen. They are being sent a sample.
Why not consider the G18...great at slinging lots of lead

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Their distributors do, for law enforcement. Info straight from STI. If approved, this will not be a department issued weapon, but a personal weapon choice bought by the officer.
If the pistol is on the DOJ accepted list of firearms, and I havn't looked, that would make it easier. Otherwise the cost of getting that pistol on the list would be prohibitive for a distributor unless they were assured of being able to sell a pot-load of pistols. There's a $$$ reason STI bailed out on Kalifornia, and I for one am quite glad they did. If the other gunmakers would follow suit and the LEOs were down to carrying Llamas, Dalys, and Smiths, things might get heated enough to institute a change..

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the pistol is on the DOJ accepted list of firearms, and I havn't looked, that would make it easier. Otherwise the cost of getting that pistol on the list would be prohibitive for a distributor unless they were assured of being able to sell a pot-load of pistols. There's a $$$ reason STI bailed out on Kalifornia, and I for one am quite glad they did. If the other gunmakers would follow suit and the LEOs were down to carrying Llamas, Dalys, and Smiths, things might get heated enough to institute a change..
Agreed, but they didn't really bail, as nothing prevents their distributors from selling to LE, and nothing in CA law does either, as LE is exempt from the roster.
Calguns has a great lawsuit going to strike the roster, and strengthened by Heller plus the application of the 2nd to the states in Mcdonald, it stands a chance. It is worthy of our support, IMO.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just take of the magwell if its too big, that isnt an issue. I would also think the polymer grip would hold up just fine as does any other polymer pistol out there.

Also, isnt the tactical 5.0 a full size weapon? If so, there is no problem with hands clearing the well. I have three full size S_I pistols, all of which have wells on them and there is no problem with my fat hands running into the well. As a matter of fact, its kinda nice as it puts you hand in the same spot each time you grab it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts