1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had the opportunity to get to the range today to try out the STI in .38 Super. Being my first STI ever – I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. However – I certainly wasn’t disappointed (a wild understatement :) )…

I took a variety of handloaded ammo – 124 Jacketed FP, 125 LRN and 150 gr. LSWC – just over 250 rounds in total – no factory ammo…

After the first few shots to inspect the brass, FP marks, etc. – I loaded up a mag after mag – and just kept shooting, all at a distance of 25 yards. The list of any failures what so ever, include:

- Nothing! It fed every round (handloads!), it ejected, it locked back – it did what a 1911 is supposed to do – each and every time! In fact, at the end of the session, the brass was piled pretty neatly into a 3’ x 3’ area.

As for accuracy – while I’m not a great shot – the picture at the bottom of this post was shot at 25 yards – handheld using a bench (no Ransom rest or sandbags) – and the target is a smallbore 50 foot NRA target (a small bullseye to hit at 25 yards :) ) The first shot is marked to the left – and after, I adjusted windage a bit – and the cluster at the center represents the remaining 8 shots using 150 gr. LSWC with AA#5. This is one of the most accurate 1911s I’ve ever owned – and it certainly can outshoot me. And I have yet to even find the best load for it.....

So – what am I going to change on this STI? NOTHING!!!! I love it…. In fact my dealer also has an STI in .40 – and it may be time to trade in another non-STI 1911 for it…

This Range Report would be longer – but I have lots of reloading to do…!!!!! :)

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Dammit! Hahahahahahhaha! I've been fighting the ever-growing urge to buy one of these in .38 Super. This post probably just broke my will altogether. Hahahhahahhahahhaha!
I'm a big fan of the STI Trojan though I only have two, one in .45 and another in 9mm. Looks like there may well be a third in the not so distant future.

"Thanks."

Best and I sincerely hope you enjoy your Super as much as I've enjoyed my two STI's.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhhh - Mr. Camp...... Pay back is hell, isn't is??!! :rolleyes:

Now you know how the rest of us feel when we read your minty reviews..!!!! LOL!!! You Sir, have probably cost me far more money purchasing Hi-Powers then any single person I can think of.. :D :D

I'm only thrilled I could "ease" you into your decision to purchase...!! ;)

Seriously - Stephen, thank you for your kind post. Based on my recent experience with this STI in .38 Super, you won't be disappointed. I am also, seriously considering adding another STI to the pistol safe soon.

My Best to you always, and my thanks again...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi bountyhunter,

Notice I didn't post any target from "off hand"? You'd have nothing to worry about - trust me :) Heh, heh....

Seriously - you, in no small way - are one of the reasons I purchased my first STI Trojan to begin with (your posts and Stephen's comments/review).. My thanks for turning me on to them... My only regret is that I bought a few other 1911's before getting this STI - had I known, my guess is that my .40 would have already been an STI, rather then another manufacturer. I hope to correct that soon, though.... ;) STI is an excellent firearm - I am thrilled with it....!!!!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
jd-08 said:
Hi bountyhunter,

My only regret is that I bought a few other 1911's before getting this STI - had I known, my guess is that my .40 would have already been an STI, rather then another manufacturer.
I bought my STI first, and was dumb enough to buy a different brand for my second.. In my defense, by the time I got around to getting my second, STI's were no longer legal in this state. The "other" was about what you'd expect from the junk makers: shoots OK now, had to work on it quite a bit. It is doing a great job along with gravity of helping to hold my safe down to the ground.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Stephen A. Camp said:
Hahahaahhahaha! Glad you liked the reports. I know I enjoyed doing them and continue to enjoy my STI pistols. Now, if we could just get Bountyhunter's Browning grouping it it should, I'd be a happy guy.

Best.
I've given up on that. It would need the barrel TIG welded and re-machined at least. It's not a big deal, I have many guns to shoot and the BHP doesn't really fit my oversized hands too well for target shooting.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stephen, when you sucumb to the Dark Side of the force, which seems to be sooner rather than later, could you perhaps make it a longslide in 9x23 instead of 38 super? :D That's the gun I've been scheming about since your report.

JD-08, I've added you to the growing list of People To Not Read Reports From Until I Find Work Again so I can buy a new toy. These well done STI range reports are killing me :p

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi BH an Keith....

BountyHunter: Went to the range again today, and the STI is simply outstanding. Another 250 rounds - and the accuracy is simply wonderful. For a cartridge that is apparently "inherently inaccurate" - someone forgot to tell STI. This pistol rivals my Bullseye .45. Tomorrow - if my dealer still has the .40 available, it will have a down-payment on it through a trade of another "1911". They also have a used STI in .45 - so I'll take a look at both, if they are available - and make a decision then....

A quick question for you (or others). Mags... I notice neither my Colt nor Metalform mags work (both are 10+ years old - so I'm not surprised..). Are there mags that work with the STI? The problem is that they don't hold the slide open after the last shot, but other then that - they feed wonderfully....

Keith: It's been rumored that others avoid my posts - but for entirely different reasons :) Anyway - now that you've read this far - DON'T READ MY post to BountyHunter above - where I'm trading another 1911 for yet another STI, or even, how the second range session went, or... :)

Seriously - when you get an STI - you will love it. After owning, shooting and working on 1911s for 30+ years - I meant what I said - these are fantastic firearms at giveaway prices given the quality, workmanship and accuracy. Again, my only regret is that I didn't buy one much, much, much sooner. I'm more then confident you will have the same impression.....

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
its people like you that convinced me to earn up the 1400 or so the used eagle (long dustcover), or 1700 a new edge is gonna cost me. I still love the kimber and it will be my defence/carry weapon (once i get the permits...aka 9 months...:eek: ). but i want a STI as a comp/plinking gun.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey NJKimber....

Yea - I know, I know.... I was pretty much a Kimber and Colt fanatic. Sorry about that!!!! Had I known at the time... ;)

Kimber's are nice, Colt's are great. BUT - the STI is a "cut above" either in current production. It feels very much like my early Colt Gold Cup NM in my hands (I have small hands, so the grip is important to me) - but I'm not sure if it's the slim grips along with the front grip strap contour and high-grip safety..??? I really can't tell - it's more the "package" and how it feels to both hold and shoot.....

Anyway - which Eagle are you thinking of - the 5 or the 6?? In any case - please post back when you get it... As I said to Keith in my post above, I know you won't be disappointed with an STI. In fact, if I had to give up all my 1911's but "one" - I think I'd still be posting to the STI Forum as "an owner".....

Best to you..!!!
(and yes - I know I'm posting these comments like an "excited newbie gun owner with a new gun - but I've owned 1911s for over 30 years - and I'm a tough old guy to impress :) )

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Dear Mr. Camp,

Please understand that if I in any way, whatsoever, and for whatever reason – perhaps, might have, or even slightly, contributed to your unrestrained, unfettered and uncontrolled urge to immediately acquire your STI Trojan in .38 Super – I will not make either apologies nor excuses for my posts, enthusiasm nor unbridled fervor for this firearm. More importantly, also please know I am thrilled that I may have played a small and insignificant part in you spending gobs of cash….. ;) (heh, heh..!!!)

In short:

CONGRATULATIONS Stephen!!!!!! You are gon’na love it..!!!! Looking forward to your range report..!!!!

:) :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Tempted

I've been really tempted to purchase an STI Trojan in .38 Super as well.

In fact, if they'd have had one in stock, I might have bought one today. Unfortunately they only had them in .45ACP & .40S&W. They said they could order me one, ETA unknown.

I don't know. The practical part of me says the outdoor shooting season is nearly over for the year, so maybe I should wait until next year....

Mike

·
Registered
367 Posts
My 5" Trojan is scheduled to arrive next week... while I'm away on vacation! All these fantastic range reports are going to make me want to end my vacation early to come home and pick up my gun!!! Ah... I'll be patient. :)

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
Re: Tempted

Michael_Aos said:
The practical part of me says the outdoor shooting season is nearly over for the year...

Ours hasn't started yet. Maybe we should buy one together! :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
jd-08

I have had my .38 Super Trojan since last Dec. and have used Metalform mags to put about 8000 rounds through it without a hiccup. I have used the round top follower 9 round mags - have no experience with the flat top follower version. I have shot 3 major IDPA matches with it this year and I am registered for 2 more. I also have some Wilson 10 (??) rounders which I retrofitted with 7 round Wilson .45 followers (needed to cut notches in sides of follower to get fit) to convert them to 9 rounds. They work better than the originals, but are still not as trustworthy as the Metalforms.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi BisonShooter...

Thanks a million - that's exactly the info I was hoping for..!!! I did recently pick up another mag (Metalform - 9 round) since my original post - but after today at the range, I'd like to get a few more. I also like your conversion notes on the Wilson - but do have some Wilson mags, but I was disappointed in the feeding (10 rounders). However - a great suggestion on the rounded followr - THANKS! - I know exactly where you needed to fit the follower (inside, on the indent seams of the mag)...

Again - my thanks!!!!!

Also Mike - I'll post in your thread regarding the .40 vs. the .38 Super in a bit, OK? I have both in STI 5" - but not the 6", if that helps? I took both to the range today - so I'll do a quick comparision for you in your thread.... See you there in a bit..!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts