1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Temp this morning was -12 without the windchill. Needless to say I wasn't out for long and couldn't feel my fingers after each mag.

The Pistol:
5" STI Trojan in 9x19

Load:
5.0 Grains of W231
115 Grain Hornady FMJ RN
1.142 OAL
Random brass but all quality, most two-three times fired
CCI SP primers
No Case expansion or crimp (I reload on a single stage)

Didn't bring the chrono out today but these should be moving around the 1200-1250 fps mark. Function was 100% with the cases going about two feet to my 4 o'clock position.

The first load I tried with this pistol was 4.6 grains of W231 with the same bullet but found that load to be rather weak. Cases were basically just falling at my feet. Good for a pop-gun load but I wanted something with a little more juice. Function with that load was also 100% through 200 rounds however.

The group shown below is 9 rounds shot at ~18 yards with the base of the grip resting on my sand bag. I guess you can tell when my trigger finger lost its feeling. :)

Attachments

·
Banned
12,386 Posts
Nice gun, nice shooting, nice snow. :)
We have that gun, one of our favorites!
We ordered ours with fiber optic front sight,
mostly for outdoor shooting.

Brand new out of the box, ours had a problem
with the mag release, but we fixed it up quickly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I'll probably be doing something with the sights sometime soon. This is my first STI and I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice pistol, looks like your load is working well.
GREAT PICS! I love pics of where others shoot, especially in winter.
Thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Yea I'll probably be doing something with the sights sometime soon. This is my first STI and I'm pretty pleased with it so far.
My first Trojan(.45) came with the DP FIber optic site and my Trojan .9mm is at the smith getting Brazos Lightning Rod FO site installed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the Comments. Hopefully I'll be doing another report on an STI Tactical SS soon.

Boomer - I am really looking for a set of adjustable night-sights that will fit the Bomar cut in the rear. I know Dawson has something like that. This may be my new camping/bow hunting pistol for now. Loaded up with some 100grain Powerballs @ 1475FPS?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love that range! When are we going to have a get together at your place?
Ha! I love this range too. They only ask for a 5.00$ donation and for you to follow the posted rules.

I get out there at 8am on a week day and there's never anyone there. :rock:

Nice when you want to take some pics and not look like a dork.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Temp this morning was -12 without the windchill. Needless to say I wasn't out for long and couldn't feel my fingers after each mag.

The Pistol:
5" STI Trojan in 9x19

Load:
5.0 Grains of W231
115 Grain Hornady FMJ RN
1.142 OAL
Random brass but all quality, most two-three times fired
CCI SP primers
No Case expansion or crimp (I reload on a single stage)

Didn't bring the chrono out today but these should be moving around the 1200-1250 fps mark. Function was 100% with the cases going about two feet to my 4 o'clock position.

The first load I tried with this pistol was 4.6 grains of W231 with the same bullet but found that load to be rather weak. Cases were basically just falling at my feet. Good for a pop-gun load but I wanted something with a little more juice. Function with that load was also 100% through 200 rounds however.

The group shown below is 9 rounds shot at ~18 yards with the base of the grip resting on my sand bag. I guess you can tell when my trigger finger lost its feeling. :)
My wife and I each have one, both ours have FO front sights, we got them thru Dawson Precision with their action jobs. Had mine for 3 years shooting regular IDPA with out a problem.

I use 4.8gr of W231 over a 125gr bullet. I have been using lead, but I keep getting harrased about using black powder because the lube smokes so much, I'm switching to plated bullets. I an also going to try some Bayou Bullets that have a coating on them.

FYI you should get some kinda award for going out in -12deg weather to fire a pistol.:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My wife and I each have one, both ours have FO front sights, we got them thru Dawson Precision with their action jobs. Had mine for 3 years shooting regular IDPA with out a problem.

I use 4.8gr of W231 over a 125gr bullet. I have been using lead, but I keep getting harrased about using black powder because the lube smokes so much, I'm switching to plated bullets. I an also going to try some Bayou Bullets that have a coating on them.

FYI you should get some kinda award for going out in -12deg weather to fire a pistol.:cool:
Yeah I work 12's on a rotation so I have weeks off at a time. Got super bored that morning and decided I was going out no matter what lol. Some leather gloves would have been nice.

I'd like to try some lead in the Trojan but really dislike having to take the Chore Boy out and scrap crap out the barrel. You get any leading with the 231/9mm/lead combo?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yeah I work 12's on a rotation so I have weeks off at a time. Got super bored that morning and decided I was going out no matter what lol. Some leather gloves would have been nice.

I'd like to try some lead in the Trojan but really dislike having to take the Chore Boy out and scrap crap out the barrel. You get any leading with the 231/9mm/lead combo?
I get a small amount of leading, not enough to use the lead remover I bought for that purpose. A little shooters choice solvent and a bronze brush and elbow grease take care of it. I've got 3K of plated bullets to try and I am going to try some coated Bayou bullets, they also come in 130gr and I want to try that weight see if It works for IDPA splitting the difference between 125 & 147 gr.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts