1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Managed to shoot a small doe today with my STI Trojan 5" in .38 Super.
The round used was a handload pushing a Remington 147-gr Golden Saber 9mm hollow point bullet to an average velocity of 1188 ft/sec.

It was raining and distance was about 15 yards.

At the shot, she jumped and ran about 15 yards before collapsing. You can see the entry wound on her left front shoulder. It exited just behind the right shoulder.

The doe is no "trophy" nor even a very large one. This deer was taken on property overrun with doe and the state has issued extra permits to the landowner to thin the herd a bit so this one was taken. Should be quite tasty as she's certainly not going to be old and tough.

Best.

PS: Did see one buck, not a shooter yet, that I'd estimate at 2 1/2 yrs. He had 7 points, an extremely high rack and should be a shooter in a couple or three years. I admit looking over the Trojan's sights at him, but didn't touch the trigger.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Good shooting Mr. Camp. I will need to order another Trojan, this time in .38Super as soon as the Holidays are past. I got your books last week. I'm trying not to read them now and wait for vacation.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Congrats! Nice little doe. I've thought a while about hunting with my longslide 38 super I built. Just haven't had time to try anything other than 130 FMC. Accuracy isn't a problem.

Paul

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Steve,

Thanks, and am wondering if you inspected the bullet's expansion, etc.?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, White Spider. No, I got complete penetration on the broadside shot. I do believe that expansion occurred as it had reliably done so for me in repeated expansion tests in both water and newspaper soaked for 24 hours and drained for 30 mins before shooting. If I can get an angling shot where I might be able to recover the bullet, I'll sure post the results.

Best.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i was outside today getting the newspaper that i never got yesterday, walking back to my house down the driveway, and lo and behold what do i see...three does, two smaller ones (about the size in that pic i would say...one was maybe a little smaller even) and one big one. Dropped the newspaper where i stood...And walked up to them. had to have gotten within 10 yards...then just stopped and stood there. Man did i wish it wasnt sunday, i had a gun on me, and we were allowed to hunt with them...but since i didnt i stood perfectly still, and they walked up to within 5 yards of me, at that point i backed up, then turned and walked away...it wasnt till i took 5 big steps back that they ran...amazing.

i tell this because i couldnt beleive that you just walked up to the deer to within a range to shoot it with your trojan...man i coulda taken that middle sized one soo easily (standing broadside to me...practiaclly begging for it). sigh...too bad i cant hunt...and i do love deer meat...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts