1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was firing my STI V.I.P. at the range yesterday and the safety broke off at the base and fell off during the third magazine. Anybody else have this sort of issue with their STI? Hopefully is was a one off problem with a faulty casting and not a harbinger of things to come. I have only shot probably 300 rounds through it.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,655 Posts
Give STI a call. I am sure they will take care of you.

What does it matter if this happened to someone else? It is your gun that is the issue, right?

Bob

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,282 Posts
Maybe he doesn't want another duff part from the same source?
Someone posted on the forum about their ambi safety breaking on the left side; normally it's the other side that causes the trouble. While his gun was a Colt, it appears to be the same safety as used by STI (and Taurus, and I suspect, a number of others). I'd hate to blame the MIM process for the failure. :eek:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Give STI a call. I am sure they will take care of you.

What does it matter if this happened to someone else? It is your gun that is the issue, right?

Bob
Bob:

What matters is that if others are having similiar problems I would rather not use it as a carry gun and instead will defer to my Colt or Kimber. Thank you for your kind interest. Back to my original question Bob; Have you had a safety snap off on your STI?
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
6,655 Posts
No I haven't, or in any other 1911 either. Anything is possible though.

Are there any companys that still make a grip safety that is not cast or Mim?

Bob

·
Registered
902 Posts
I had the ambi-safety break on my Tactical only after a few hundred rounds. Yes, they are MIM parts which IMO are crap. I had Dave Dawson remove all the MIM parts from my gun after that. I went with a Ed Brown Hardcore Ambi, Afftec extractor, C&S Sear and Hammer and a stainless STI grip safety. I know people will argue back and forth about the MIM parts but I tell you they haven't broke again. :rock:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Okay, I'll bite. What cast or MIM parts from STI are causing problems?

Are the stainless safety's the only thing breaking? I'd hate to buy a $1500+ pistol and have to send it off to get a bunch of parts replaced.

Was a single batch of stainless safety's defective or, is this something systemic at STI?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got 4 Tacticals with a total of about 9000 rounds fired among them. I've had no issues with parts breakage on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts