1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oaky Im confused. i love the sv Infinity but is it the same company as Sti or even svi for that matter. Would someone please clear this up for me?? Were they one company and split? Are they made in the us?? ??

Frank

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
SVI is Strayer Voigt, Inc. and was formed

when one of the designers, Sandy Strayer, left STI. You can look him up on the American Pistolsmith Institute website. Both guns feature a wide-body grip that is separate from the frame. Both guns are made in Texas.

SVI is the more technically progressive of the two, in my opinion. Note that SVI has the plunger tube as an integral part of the machined frame; it is not a separate, staked-on piece.

SVI also uses AET technology for its barrels (which come from Wil Scheumann) and has patented trigger systems (with ball bearings!), barrel bushings, magwells, manual safeties, and interchangeable breechfaces, among other features.

Go to www.sviguns.com and check it out for yourself.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
SV and STI are both in the US. STI is in Georgetown TX and SV is in Grand Prairie..

They both began as Chip McCormick Corp. (CMC) when the frame was introduced in the early 90s. The frames then became Tripp Research (TRI) , then they split into SV and STI.

That is a very abbreviated history of the companies..with names left out..hope that helps a little...there is also a knockoff company in Europe that makes guns too..SPS I believe.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay thanks:)

Frank

·
Registered
398 Posts
I guess I was thinking Mike would team up with someone else... could be an 'S' might not?

You're right though it would be another SxI, or a new xVI...

·
Super Moderator
7,638 Posts
Mike Voigt shoots for STI now. Has since maybe 2000.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sorry - I thought this was a recent change, people were talking about it after he was on front Sight an issue back.. I'm not keeping up...

·
Registered
673 Posts
SVI is Sandy Strayer
STI is Dave Skinner
Both really nice guys. Great guns and some are better than others. Of all the manufactures out there these are two of the best.
Ed henry

·
Registered
282 Posts
sandy strayer is the genius of the 2, thus you see a lot of innovations with the svi. He is also ver merticulous, even the toolmarks that are present in the sti are not there in the sv

·
Registered
7 Posts
STI, SVI

they are both two seperate companies today who are the only manufactures of the 2011 wide body frame. Sandy from SVI is more of a custom Gun Builder and STI is more of a Custom Production Gun Builder., In my opinion both make the best firearms in the world, and you would be happy purchasing eiother one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts