1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A gunsmith built an STI for me but I'm having a "small" problem. The gun will fire without having to press the Beavertail. I was cleaning the gun and when I did couple "safety" checks I was able to dry fire the gun without having to press the beavertail. I will be taking the gun back to the gunsmith, but I would like to know what could cause the gun to react/malfunction that way. I want to know as much as possible so he does not try to feed me some bogus explanation. He is going to fix it as the gun does not have more than 50-75 rounds thru it. Any information will be appreciated.:confused:

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
before you send your blaster back, give the right-most leg of the sear spring some bend towards the grip safety. Sometimes they are fit up "close" and a bit more spring tension will move the safety's arm into proper position and block the trigger.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If the beavertail is actually comming all the way out (springing back after you push it in) then the tang that prevents the trigger from being pulled may be too short.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I had the same problem after I installed a new MSH the cause of my problem was that the new MSH wasn't allowing the grip safety to come back far enough. I filed the contact point of the safety down a little to allow it to come back a little more and it works fine now.

To check if this is your problem just take the MSH pin out and drop the MSH down so that it doesn't hold the safety in but still has preasure on the strut and see if you can pull the trigger.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
If the builder is local, by all means have him fix his errors. No reason a problem like that should have ever left his shop. Pure negligence!

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
If it has a trigger with a titanium bow, replace it. The trigger bow can flex and fire. This happened with a .45 STI trojan of mine a few years ago.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I've had this happen where the grip safety tang is too long and lays on top of the trigger bow all the time. Can't stop the trigger from moving as it's on top of the bow, just like when you depress it.

Slight shortening of the safety was needed.

-- Chuck

·
Super Moderator
7,787 Posts
I dont own a single STI where the grip safety actually works. I deactivated all the grip safties myself. But they are all game guns...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

The gunsmith took the pistol and he is going to work on it. Unfortunately he has a lot of work so I have to be patient and wait for him to finish the gun once more.
Thanks for everyone input.
:rock:

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I would suggest that you have him refund the money you paid for a completed pistol until the pistol is completed. Diagnosis and cure ought to be a 15 minute exercise for a competent 'smith. He should fix it while you wait.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I think if you have allready paid in full then the gunsmith should drop everything and put your pistol on top priority. It should have never left his shop in the condition it was in and he ought to rectify the situation immediately.

This is just my opinion though.

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
I had the same problem after I installed a new MSH the cause of my problem was that the new MSH wasn't allowing the grip safety to come back far enough. I filed the contact point of the safety down a little to allow it to come back a little more and it works fine now.

To check if this is your problem just take the MSH pin out and drop the MSH down so that it doesn't hold the safety in but still has preasure on the strut and see if you can pull the trigger.
for future reference, you want to file down the MSH and not the GS -- the MSH has extra "meat" built in for the very reason of fitting. since it worked out for ya, its moot, but just a heads up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts