1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i just purchased a wilson combat beavertail grip safety and when i install it, it seems sticky. by that i mean when i depress it and then take my hand off, it takes a couple seconds for it to pop back out. i dont think its too wide, but could it be getting stuck on something else in there?

Also I got a new commander style hammer and i cant get the strut pin out of my old hammer. should i just keep trying to hammer it with a punch?

i dont have much experience with these guns so thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
That hammer strut pin will come out. Just lay it on a vice, or a bench block, to back it up and make sure there's a hole or slot for the pin to migrate to when you whack it.
On that beavertail. The lever that extends into the frame may be rubbing the frame at its end. Either look for a shiny part on the tip, or mark it and try and then see if the mark is there. If it's rubbing, you'l need to remove a LITTLE steel from the tip where it's interfering. Another possibility is the bottom of the beavertail may be rubbing on the mainspring housing. Easy to check...just remove the housing pin and drop the housing down a little...the check to see if it's still dragging. If so, you've found the culprit and now you have file off some metal where the two are touching. If that is it, it'll take very little metal removal to fix because you said it does pop back out, just slowly.
Bob

·
Registered
412 Posts
You may also be able to press the pin out if you have a large enough vise, or even a large enough C-clamp. You'll need a small socket (just smaller than the diameter of the round part of the hammer) and your punch. Socket on one side of the hammer, punch on the other side (on the pin) and compress it either in the vise or the C-clamp.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
The grip safety tang, the part that blocks the trigger, rides on top of the trigger bow when depressed. If those surfaces are rough the safety will not spring back when released, nor will the trigger go back forward if the grip safety is not fully depressed.

Dry fire the pistol. Keep the trigger fully to the rear and release the grip safety. Release the trigger. If it doesn't go forward there's binding at the tang - trigger bow interface.

-- Chuck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts